Is DIY kegerator/keezer more cost effective or just fun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimeye01

Reaction score
I've been reading about how to build a kegerator or keezer and after bargain searching for the supplies I still find that I'll need around $500 to make the thing.

Alternatively I have found functional kegerator's selling for $500.

The question is: If DIY kegerator/keezer costs about the same as buying one ready to go, then what is the advantage to making your own? Customization? Better craftsmanship? For the fun of it?

Well the fun factor and the fact you can say "I made this" are cool. But, to buy a commercial kegger that would hold five 1/6 kegs (cornie size) would cost way more than 500 bucks. I have a kenmore keggerator and love it. But, it only holds two cornie kegs. I built the keezer because, well....I wanted MORE!! LOL

Kegerators.jpg

I was able to get a functional one-tap commercial kegerator, including the CO2 tank and regulator, for $250 on craigslist a while ago, for which I only had to buy the corny ball lock disconnects. I bought it with the idea that I would eventually expand to two taps...

I am now seeking unadorned fridges or chest freezers so that I can expand to four taps via some shanks/extra hardware. It was just where my brewing was going, and I realized that after selling my existing kegerator it would be about the same cost as expanding my current kegerator to two taps.

Basically, the DIY allows for more customization, and it can actually be less expensive, particularly if you can get a good used fridge, of which there are MANY on craigslist. Good luck with your kegging endeavors! It is a wonderful world from which you will not likely return. :mug:

Basically, the DIY allows for more customization
Pretty much. It can be cheaper, but I built my own and spent a ton of cash in the process. But I built it because A) it's different; B) I built it (with ooodles of help from this place), and C) it has nice additional touches that you either can't get in a retail kegerator or you have pay out the nose for anyway (e.g., digital temperature controller, perlicks, etc.). I spent a few days researching things out and to get a bullet-proof kegerator with quality components, I'd be spending close to a $1,000 ... so I spent $600 on building a keezer.

Well worth it.

I learned a lot about kegging by building my keezer. I also learned a lot about creative financing.

The real secret is to stop keeping track of what you spend. Never, ever go back add it all up. Burn the receipts so your wife never sees them. It helps if you can sneak some of your purchases in under the guise of a 'real' home project. That way the cost gets sucked into a new floor or something and it doesn't seem so bad.

Delusion is a good thing!

Here's a picture of mine. According to my calculations it only cost $24 to build:

kegger1.jpg

kegger3.jpg

kegger2.jpg

To keep costs down, buy the most expensive parts used. Look on craigslist: Vintage fridge-free, 20# co2 tank-$20, box of co2 regulators off eBay -$20 The shanks, faucets, beer line and disconnects I bought new. It was about $200 for 3 taps. and the ranco was $40 on amazon. So for under $300 it was up and running and way cooler looking than you could buy in a store.

I built mine because I was able to get what I wanted.

That and it has 6 taps and holds 18 corny's :)

It's all about what you want. A commercial unit maybe just what you need.

to give you an idea for me. i found a chest freezer in my basement so the freezer was free. i found a 4 tap picnic setup for a few hundred. i got 4 faucets and shanks for fairly cheap. ill soon be expanding to 8 taps. for me to get an 8 tap kegerator prebuilt i was looking at over 1500. ill be below 600 by the time im done.

My 2 keg mini fridge cost me about 150 not including Kegs and gauges and tank. Brand new frigidare mini for 125 and 20 for a used brass tower and faucet. Tower is a 3" one tap but I'm going to drill it for a 2nd soon.

I originally rebuilt my kegerator with a new Perlick faucet, regulator, new hoses and fittings only reusing the fridge/tower/CO2 tank from the old setup....then I came across a 20 cu ft freezer for $40 on Craigslist less than a month later and jumped on it..

It was dirty, but in decent shape.

I'm under $300 total (freezer, collar, paint, caulk, screws, 3 corneys, all fittings, hoses, CO2 splitters, clamps, regulator, and picnic taps) running 3 beer's on tap at the moment with plenty of space for storage of cold water, soda, bottled beer and room for additional taps.

My old kegerator is now a fermentation chamber.

Still need to buy a shank for the Perlick and a couple other faucets, but due to my 16 month old son pulling on everything, I may just deal with the picnic taps for a while so he doesn't empty a keg all over the floor.

My keezer obviously doesn't look like some of the keezers featured here, but it's not bad looking and functional at a minimal cost. No complaints here, but I could see myself building a new one in the future.

Like others have already said, it really depends on what your priorities are. I was originally going to buy a used BevAir or True 50" so that I could have at least 5 beers on tap. After searching CL and other sources I had a hard time finding what I wanted. While browsing these DIY forums and being inspired by what others have done, I decided to build my own, and I have to say that I couldn't be happier. I purchased everything new and now have a beautiful keezer that I can put into any room of the house. In fact, it is probably the nicest piece of funiture that I own. :DOverall it cost me around $1500 including a couple kegs, and in my opinion worth every penny. It has 5 perlick 525s and can hold 4 cornies, a full half barrel comercial keg and a 20# Co2.

I realize that I could have done this a lot cheaper, but after taking advice from several others in HBT, I decided to not skimp on anything and spare no expense.:D

Back