What would you brew if you had this...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StAnthonyB

Reaction score
What would you brew if you had this laying around?

55# Bairds Pale Malt
10# Fawcett Pale Crystal 23.5L
5# Fawcett CaraMalt 10.5L
5# Fawcett Wheat Malt 1.85L
4# Fawcett Amber Malt (36L)
1.5# Fawcett Black Malt (455L)

1# Bravo pellets
1# Styrian (UK) pellets
1# First Gold pellets
1# Fuggle (UK) pellets
1# Target (GR) pellets

White Labs Yeasts
WLP037 Yorkshire Square Ale Yeast (Samuel Smith)
This yeast produces a beer that is malty, but well-balanced. Expect flavors that are toasty with malt-driven esters. Highly flocculent and good choice for English pale ales, English brown ales, and mild ales.
Attenuation: 68-72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

WLP006 Bedford British (Charles Wells)
Ferments dry and flocculates very well. Produces a distinctive ester profile. Good choice for most English style ales including bitter, pale ale, porter, and brown ale.
Attenuation: 72-80%
Flocculation: High
Optimum fermentation temperature: 65-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

WLP038 Manchester Ale Yeast
Top-fermenting strain that is traditionally good for top-cropping. Moderately flocculent with a clean, dry finish. Low ester profile, producing a highly balanced English-style beer.
Attenuation: 70-74%
Flocculation: Medium-High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

11-A Mild

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 70.0%
Calories: 217.77 kcal per 22.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.036 (1.030 - 1.038)
|===================#============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (1.008 - 1.013)
|================#===============|
Color: 14.36 (12.0 - 25.0)
|==========#=====================|
Alcohol: 3.26% (2.8% - 4.5%)
|============#===================|
Bitterness: 18.8 (10.0 - 25.0)
|=================#==============|

Ingredients:
5.0 lb Pale Ale Malt
12.0 oz Pale Crystal Malt - (23.5)
12.0 oz CaraMalt - (10.5)
4.0 oz Amber Malt - (36)
2.0 oz Black Malt - (455)
.5 oz First Gold (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 45.0 min
.5 oz First Gold (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
White Labs WLP037 Yorkshire (Samuel Smith)

Schedule:
00:03:00 Mash-In - Liquor: 2.15 gal; Strike: 162.28 °F; Target: 150.0 °F
01:33:00 Sacch. Rest - Rest: 90.0 min; Final: 148.0 °F
02:18:00 Batch Sparge - 1st Runnings: 15.0 min; Sparge #1: 2.25 gal sparge @ 180.0 °F, 15.0 min; Sparge #2: 2.25 gal sparge @ 180.0 °F, 15.0 min; Total Runoff: 5.99 gal

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

Wadda ya know.... I've been reading the Classic Beer style series book on mild (while drinking one of course). Great read!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381683/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Kudos for posting a recipe.

Thanks man.

Do you think that will make a mild ale. I have no fear about playing with things a little. It doesn't have to be ultra-traditional. I would like to have two similar recipes using the same ingredients for the most part that come out as two distinctly different ales in seperate classifications.

I'd like to see someone rework that into a bitter but using the Charles Wells yeast in the stead of the Samuel Smith, and perhaps the Bravo hops and Styrians.

I just read that Pale Ale, Mild Ale, and working through Brown Ale. I am glad they made Mild Ale and Brown Ale seperate. Other than that I got a biography of GK Chesterson by Pearce of Ignatius Press that is holding my attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've wondered about using a Hochkurz mash (even though it is German).

138F; 15 minutes.
145F, 45 minutes.
156F; 30 minutes.

(Thanks Kaiser)

Other than that I got a biography of GK Chesterson by Pearce of Ignatius Press that is holding my attention.

Oh man, I LOVED that book. It even had me on the verge of tears at the end. What a great read about a great man.

As to the original question, I'd brew some beer, an ESB and a Mild, and an Old Ale (an ESB that you leave in secondary for six months or longer).

Oh man, I LOVED that book. It even had me on the verge of tears at the end. What a great read about a great man.

As to the original question, I'd brew some beer, an ESB and a Mild, and an Old Ale (an ESB that you leave in secondary for six months or longer).

I read Alquist's books on him and that is what spurred me. I read Pearce's book on Hilaire Belloc which I highly recommend. And, perceivebly will end up reading about Knox in the future. My interest in English ales is, in fact, directly related to my discovery of the Oxford Movement and the greatest work of English literature, "The Lord of the Rings", which is a direct product of it. Without these men the current Apostolic constitution extending coverage of the Sarum use Anglicans may have not come been promulgated for quite some time yet.

Back to beer. In all my years of brewing I have never aged a beer. We have forgotten about some down cellar, but never deliberate aging.

I would really like to give that a try to Old Ale starting this coming year. I am on the hunt for 1.5L (50oz) champagne bottles; so that, I can age them on their sides. Once I get everything reconfigured for all-grain brewing, as I am turning over a leaf in being a better brewer, for January 2nd, and get a lock on my system efficiency, I should begin brewing Old Ale by June 1st with really whatever is leftover from the brewing season.

I have eyeballed Palmer's which uses dark treacle and some dark crystal and black malt. He talks about using 20# of grist for 5 gallons. I don't know if I'd use the treacle. I have found Goya makes pressed cane juice in little one pound discs. And, suppose I may up using that instead to ensure the gravity is up around 1.090.

Back