Spare Tire (Fat Tire clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I can't get Fat tire where I am, so I'm just going to have to brew it.

The mash in my 10 Gallon cooler:
IMG_0293.jpg

Final runnings to recirculate, looks pretty good to me (although it's not really as dark as it appears in the pic):
IMG_0294.jpg

Draining to my much to small boil kettle:
IMG_0296.jpg

The 210k btu beast in action, bringing the wort to a boil:
IMG_0299.jpg

I have one of these sitting in secondary right now, waiting for me to collect enough bottles. I can't get it here either, bought a 6 pack when I was on the west coast last week. Looking forward to comparing.

---------------------- More pics -------------------------------

The boil has started and 1 oz of 6.7% Willamette pellets have been added:
IMG_0300.jpg

Boiling 5 gallons in a 5.5 gallon stockpot (I do not recommend this, BTW...)
IMG_0301.jpg

My commercial brew selection for this session (along with a few of my own brews that are not pictured:
IMG_0302.jpg

The Brewputer:
IMG_0304.jpg

cnbudz said:
I think you're going to melt your pot with that burner:)

It's much more impressive in person. It was only opened up about halfway in that pic. EdWort has a video on YouTube showing the same burner in all it's glory:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used mine for the first time two weekends ago and had to really keep it low or was wasting heat pushing it around the edges of the keggle. I realized that it had heated the skirt up to glowing red at one point and had to step it back a touch more. Too many BTUs is unlikely to be a problem however, just saving propane, and it is refreshingly quiet. I bet your fat tire clone is better than fat tire by the way. I find fat tire to be rather uninteresting these days compared to anything homebrew and I hope you have some better micro brews around there you just have not found yet. Otherwise... MORE brewing for you!:D

while I'm posting pics I thought I'd share these as well...

Me and Brewgirl #4 who's 5 months old now... yes, I have 4 daughters. Good thing I know how to brew and have a lot of guns...
IMG_0283.jpg

Brewgirl #4 again (she's drooling because she wants a beer, not because she's teething):
IMG_0290.jpg

SWMBO training Brewgirl #4 (ya, it's bmc swill, but at least it's a start lol... and yes of course the can was empty):
IMG_0285.jpg

seawort said:
I used mine for the first time two weekends ago and had to really keep it low or was wasting heat pushing it around the edges of the keggle. I realized that it had heated the skirt up to glowing red at one point and had to step it back a touch more. Too many BTUs is unlikely to be a problem however, just saving propane, and it is refreshingly quiet. I bet your fat tire clone is better than fat tire by the way. I find fat tire to be rather uninteresting these days compared to anything homebrew and I hope you have some better micro brews around there you just have not found yet. Otherwise... MORE brewing for you!:D

This burner takes some getting used to that's for sure. This is my 14th brew with it, and I'm just now getting a feel for how much I need to open it to get what I want.

I hadn't brewed an amber in a while, I've heard a lot of good things about Fat Tire, and I can't get it locally so I figured what the heck.

Here's the recipe I used. If it's any good I'll move it to the recipe section.

Dough-in to 2.75 gallons of 174' water the following grainbill:

5 lbs Munich
4.5 lbs American 2 row
1/2 lb. Crystal 90L
1/4 lb Victory
3 oz. Biscuit

Mash for 60 min holding at 152-155
1st batch sparge with 2 gal 170' water
2nd batch sparge with 1.5 gal 170' water

I'm dealing with a 5.5 gallon kettle, so I brought 5 gallons to a boil and added 1 oz of Willamette 6.7% aa

At 30 min I added the remaining 1/2 gallon from my second sparge

at 15 min 1/2 oz of Hersbrucker 3.8% aa
at 5 min 1/2 oz of Norther Brewer 6.6% aa

We'll see how it turns out in about 6 weeks.

-OB

nice, I need to get a burner like that. It took me 30 min to get a boil going today. Man a 5.5 gallon pot, whooo.

Ryanh1801 said:
nice, I need to get a burner like that. It took me 30 min to get a boil going today. Man a 5.5 gallon pot, whooo.

Yuri will soon be curing the 5.5 gallon kettle problem for me :rockin:

cnbudz said:
I have 5 older sisters, my father had LOTS of grey hair....

Cute kid, BTW

Same boat i'm the youngest of 5 with 4 older sisters... Gotta admit you learn quite a few things quickly...

cnbudz said:
yeah, like how they attack in packs, like wolves...

mmmhmmm and they're never wrong, they never start anything, and it's ok for them to do something, but when you do it you're evil....

"How do you write women so well?"
"The same way I do men, but i take away reason and accountability"

DeadYetiBrew said:
mmmhmmm and they're never wrong, they never start anything, and it's ok for them to do something, but when you do it you're evil....

"How do you write women so well?"
"The same way I do men, but i take away reason and accountability"

Sounds like you grew up in my house...

Ohio, you're in for some fun...:D

Back