blend Simcoe, Galena, Cloumbus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmazer

Reaction score
Hello all

I like IPA's APA's etc and would like comments on flavors of these hops, do they play nice together, why or why not? Either better for bittering, flavor, aroma?

Eric

simcoe would probably dominate the other two if used in equal amounts but there is no reason not to use them together. i would bitter with something like magnum.

Galena is great for bittering. I think Columbus blends well with simcoe since both are pungent and quite different. They are both used in a big way in Green Flash West Coast IPA.

Thier smell, both strength and style, is fairly indicative of how they will act in the beer? For the same amount, if a type of hops doesnt smell strong out of the beer it wont smell, or taste, strong in the beer?

You can use that blend of hops anywhere at any time in an American IPA. Even when they are on their own and used in a SMaSH, all three of those hops would shine at any spot. In the future though, I would keep them separate (not mixed/blended). It gives you more versatility.

They are separate, I should have explained better in my original post, my bad. I have 1 ounce of Galena, and lots of Columbus and Simcoe. Would like some info on the flavor and aroma profiles relative to each other, to get some characteristics of each without one overpowering the other. Are they about equal, should I use a ratio of one to the other, etc. I suppose the best way is to SMaSH each following the same amounts, then drink them and see what I think.

For most IPA homebrewers, you'll find they are preferred in this order when it comes to aroma/flavor/uniqueness:

1) Simcoe
2) Columbus
3) Galena

Back