Carbonation can make or break your beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just an experience to share:

I brewed a dry stout a while back. It was a very simple recipe; the classic dry stout according to Jamil. 70% base malt, 20% flaked barley, 10% roasted barley. It underattenuated for reasons unknown, but not badly. I kegged it and carbonated for the stout faucet using my method that I thought I had worked out, which was to hook it up to CO2 for a few days to overcarb it, then vent it repeatedly until it didn't offgas any more. Basically carbonated at 0psi for 40 F, which is 1.3-1.4 volumes. I served a pint through the stout faucet and got no bubbly cascade, no head, and a very very bland taste. I knew I needed to troubleshoot something about it but I didn't have time for quite a while, and it was drinkable, so I drank it now and then but really I stopped enjoying it and, with a move coming in a few weeks, I was debating whether it would be worth the trouble to transport a partial keg of bland stout. I realized something though: if the beer is being pushed through the stout faucet and not coming out foamy, it must be because there is no CO2 in the beer. I hooked the beer up to CO2 for about 5 days, then put it back on nitrogen and poured a pint. It came out a milky tan, cascaded to a nice creamy head, and I figured that was cool, I fixed my no foam issue, but I was really surprised when I took a sip. The beer has so much more flavor now, the roast/chocolate/coffee flavors are much more prominent with a little CO2 bite. The moral of the story is that if you haven't experimented with different levels of carbonation, you don't really know what your beer is capable of yet.

That might be the reason for my stout not tasting very well. I'm not experienced with kegging to really know how to figure out what I should pressurize my beer at.

It is true. The carbing is the proverbial icing on the cake! Especially with styles that should have carbonation levels at th extremes of the scale.

Back