Wet hops: favor, aroma, or both?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbippers

Reaction score
I grow a ton of Nugget hops and right now I'm planning this year's fresh hop brew, most likely an all nugget IPA. I'm just trying to breakdown which additions I use wet and which I use dried. Also, yes I know ~5x weight for the wet v. dry.

I've taken to the 60-10-0 schedule for my bittering, flavor, and aroma additions with great results. Obviously my bittering hops will be dried to more tightly control the IBUs. I'll go wet hops for the flameout aroma addition, but the flavor is where I'm concerned. I don't want to bring too much of a vegetal flavor and I'm not sure if I should use dried, wet, or perhaps a mix here. Maybe with only 10 mins it's not a huge deal. Any input from experienced wet hop brewers is appreciated.

A pro brewer friend suggests not using wet hops for the bittering addition, as this is where you can get the real vegetal flavors from the long boil time. Fresh hop the flavor and aroma additions. Personally, I like doing 100% fresh hop brews.

Should be interesting to read what "wet hop veterans" have to say, but it seems to me that sticking with the "5x dry" guideline there's no need at all to dry the hops for any addition. Further, H20 content isn't going to contribute to any veggie flavors, so I'd stick with whatever schedule you'd use if they were all dry.

'Course, that could all be wrong, somehow :eek: and while I've brewed many batches using my own dried Chinook/Centennial/Cascade hops, I'll defer to the opinions of those with actual experience...

Cheers!

Back