Malt extract at flameout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldben

Reaction score
So, for this batch I'm planning on adding that malt extract at flameout and waiting 15 minutes for pasteurization. I wonder, though, if this will result in a lack of a hot break for that extract? And how might that effect the end product?

no not all of it, 1/3 up front, 2/3 at flameout. partial boil... about 3.5 gal.

In order to produce extract, the hot break process has already occurred. You are essentially reconstituing extract.

You should be fine...though I might add it with at least 5 minutes left in the boil just to be sure about boling out any nasties.

You'll be fine adding at flameout. As BierMuncher notes, the break occurred in someone else's kettle, so don't worry about that.

If I might be so bold as to contradict his last statement, the time it takes the kettle to drop below pasteurization temperature in my kitchen is three times as long as is needed to actually pasteurize the wort, so there's no reason to boil the late addition at all. Even using a chiller the wort stays hot enough for long enough that any nasties present in the late-added extract - which is unlikely - will be killed.

Cheers,

Bob

There's no need to boil in order to pasteurize. Pasteurization takes place at 160-170F. At flame out,the boiling hot wort still has plenty of heat to add the remaining extracts. I do it all the time,especially with pre-hopped cans of LME like cooper's. Even the ramaining half bag of DME,& I typically use a 3lb bag with half in the 2.5-3G boil.

I don't have the book in my hand so someone may want to confirm, but I think in "Brewing Classic Styles" it's recommended to add LME at flameout and to let it sit for only 1 minute before cooling. Jamil/Palmer claim that something funky can start to happen if you let it sit for much longer than ~2 minutes before cooling. I'm something of a noob so I'll have to take it on their authority for now (which I'll do without reservation).

We've come up with a few things on here that made them re-write there books to correct some old thinking before. While 2 minutes may be fine,I do at least 10 minutes without any problems,since the wort is no higher than about 180F or so after the additions. not to mention steeping rather than boiling.

Since Pasteurization happens in ~15 seconds at 162F, is there some other benefit to waiting longer than 1-2 minutes? I'm not trying to be confrontational. I'm just trying to determine if there's something I'm unaware of or if this is more of a personal preference issue. I have a VERY busy 5-year old so I can't afford to have my brew sessions last any longer than absolutely necessary! :)

Interesting point. It's been a while since I was in those living sciences classes,so I likely forgot how long it was said to take. That may well be true,given a single cell organism's structure. But pops old neighbor,a dairy farmer,showed us the pasteurization process he as to follow,& it took longer than a couple minutes. Of course milk is denser,but a few minutes might be safe for beer,with it's lower density.

Back