stainless steel brewing pot and about quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
I'm currently shopping for a brew pot (for 20L batch). I'm leaning toward finding something inexpensive and on my quest for the best brew pot I made some discoveries.. First I went into a store selling quality restaurant supplies and I found aluminium pots for 50$ and up (20L +). Quality stainless steel was over 100$ (20L +). I noticed that the quality SS pots had solid walls and bottom.

Then I checked around in local stores and I found "stainless steel pot" (below 20 Liters) for 35$-. Some manufacturers says it's "stainless steel" and some says it has a "stainless steel finish". I also saw real cheap 20L pots for 20$, it was so light and fragile (I would be scared to even lift it while it's full) and apparently it had a SS finish.

So there seems to be a huge difference between "Restaurant quality SS" and "Home quality SS". And within "home quality SS", there seems to be a huge difference too.

Are "home quality SS" really stainless steel? Is it good SS? Also are the thin bottom and walls found on most pot a concern when boiling wort (any problems?)?

I've been using the $70 10 gallon pot from Austin Homebrew, and it's great. It's thin steel, but it IS stainless. My burner is insanely hot (5 gallons to boil in 7 minutes) and I've never scorched wort on the bottom.

If you want restaurant quality (1/8" walls), you'll be looking at several hundred bucks.

Latest posts

Back