Sausage Casings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just getting into sausage making and would like to give it a go. So I need to get some casings (preferably collagen). But I was wondering where do you get your casings from?

Don't buy collagen. Or, if you don't believe me, at least buy one pouch of natural hog casings.

I've gotten them from the Sausage Maker and one other place, can't remember. Collagen SUCKS. In fact, I see you're close... you can have mine. PM me if you're near Clearwater.

Is there really that huge of a difference in quality? I was going to go the collagen route just because it seemed easier to work with.

Is there really that huge of a difference in quality? I was going to go the collagen route just because it seemed easier to work with.

Yes there is. The collagen just have a weird feel to them when you bite into them and they are also just about impossible to twist and get the to stay in links.

collagen is like paper and will tear. Buy some and find out. It's cheap and comes in a tube, looks great, works like ****.

Collagen is stronger than hog casings from what I've seen. I first started using collagen because I figured I'd be clumsy my first time making sausage and I wanted a forgiving casing that wouldn't burst so easy. Worked great. Only thing I don't like about it is you can't twist to form links. You have to tie them off with string or hog rings. Big PITA that outweighs the benefits, so it's hog casing for me now.

Collagen is stronger than hog casings from what I've seen. I first started using collagen because I figured I'd be clumsy my first time making sausage and I wanted a forgiving casing that wouldn't burst so easy. Worked great. Only thing I don't like about it is you can't twist to form links. You have to tie them off with string or hog rings. Big PITA that outweighs the benefits, so it's hog casing for me now.

This is exactly the problem I had with them. Twisting always tears the casing. In my way of thinking this makes them less strong. Anyway, I'll never use them (collagen) again.

Natural casings can burst also, but if they are soaked overnight it doesn't happen much.

This is exactly the problem I had with them. Twisting always tears the casing. In my way of thinking this makes them less strong. Anyway, I'll never use them (collagen) again.

Natural casings can burst also, but if they are soaked overnight it doesn't happen much.

Yeah, you can't twist collagen casings. I didn't know that when I ordered them but I'm glad I found out before I tried or it would have been a clinic in frustration. They are supposed to be stronger against bursting but it's not worth it IMHO.

Well until I get some extra money to put down on a stuffer, I was planning on just using a pastry stuffer that i have unused around the house. I'm not too sure if it would actually work but I figure I'd give it a shot.

A bag type pastry stuffer or a caulking gun type? Either way it's not going to be fun. Even if it works, you'll be constantly reloading.

Back