nOOb problem keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duskb

Reaction score
So far I've sucessfully force carbed 5 or so kegs but the latest one is being a real PITA. Here are the facts.

Force carbed a pale ale and shook keg moderately @ 30-35ish PSI for about 3-4 min while the beer was at 38*, bled off excess the next day and recharged @ 13-15 PSI. Beer tastes good @ 38* and has been drawing fine but is VERY heady (7/8 head from the tap). It settles nicely but it takes a minute to do so. I think I forced in too much CO2 this time.

I thought I'd revisit the issue today by bleeding and recharging with 9 PSI. The minute I hooked up the CO2 I heard _massive_ bubbling inside the keg. Now its literally foam to the top of the keg (its about 3/4 full so there's PLENTY of headspace).

Anoter interesting fact here. I have ice forming in the kegerator at 38*. (I believe) My supply lines have frozen on occasion and slight condensation on the floor is freezing the kegs into place. Also, my internal condensation drain reservoir is freezing too. I'm not sure if this is playing a factor or not.

I managed to rebleed but what the heck do I do from here especially with all the foam in there?

Me thinks your thermostat's not working. Water freezing temperature no = 38*. Throw another thermometer in there and compare.

That was my thought too...its not a thermostat my kegerator doesn't have one (in degrees)...this is a separate thermometer I got from the store. It appears to be correct though. I was not reading it right...currently the temp is at 28*.

Not sure how it got that cold...

Still need to figure out how to get around the problem though.

7/8 is not really "heady". I consider anything from 3/4" to 1" to be perfect.

maybe he means 7/8ths of the glass is foam...

also did you perhaps accidentally hook your gas line to the liquid dip tube somehow? If the keg was only 3/4 full then that's the only reason I can think of that you'd hear bubbling when you hook up the Co2.

maybe he means 7/8ths of the glass is foam...

also did you perhaps accidentally hook your gas line to the liquid dip tube somehow? If the keg was only 3/4 full then that's the only reason I can think of that you'd hear bubbling when you hook up the Co2.

Yes, I mean my glass is 7/8 head. I'm not going to lie its a really nice soupy head but it's a bit much for my tastes.

I'm pretty sure I've connected everything right but lets say for arguments sake you caught my mistake... If I have the gas line on the long liquid tube (which would explain the bubling deep within the keg) how would the liquid get out of the keg with the smaller tube so far over the beer?

how would the liquid get out of the keg with the smaller tube so far over the beer?

do you have a keg that's jacked up?
Did someone put 2 dip tubes in the keg?

Ice forms in the keezer because the sides get considerably colder than the air temp. The warm air + the cold sides = condensation...when the compressor kicks on, the sides get freezing cold, and frost forms. I have also had a line freeze from being up against the side....that's fun.

I would say that you have too short of a hose, and your pressure is too high. Keep bleeding it down to 9 psi...give it 2 days to recover from your 30 psi misfortune....maybe another day beyond that...it'll mellow out sooner or later.

do you have a keg that's jacked up?
Did someone put 2 dip tubes in the keg?

Ice forms in the keezer because the sides get considerably colder than the air temp. The warm air + the cold sides = condensation...when the compressor kicks on, the sides get freezing cold, and frost forms. I have also had a line freeze from being up against the side....that's fun.

I would say that you have too short of a hose, and your pressure is too high. Keep bleeding it down to 9 psi...give it 2 days to recover from your 30 psi misfortune....maybe another day beyond that...it'll mellow out sooner or later.

Nope, I set them up myself after getting them from the vendor. They should be set up right but it's possible they're wrong, doubtful, but possible.

I'm still stumped about the deep gurgling though. I can see the long tube being backwards and all but how the beer would get out of the small tube 6" up is beyond me. I'll check it when I get home.

I would also think that the hose being too short could be an issue but keep in mind I've had several kegs on this tap already and its not been an issue in the least. Clearly this one is operator error...not the equipment. I'm just trying to figure out how to back out of the corner I've gotten into.

I'll wait it out...that's a good idea.

I'm still stumped about the deep gurgling though. I can see the long tube being backwards and all but how the beer would get out of the small tube 6" up is beyond me. I'll check it when I get home.

Is teh line from the keg to the faucet filled with beer or foam? if foam, that would explain how the "beer" would get to the short gas tube if switched. The keg could be foaming making the height inside of course rise reaching the dip tube. If the line is filled with beer ad just turns to foam when hitting the glass, Do as suggested, adjust regulator down to 9psi or so, then vent and let sit for a couple days.

Is teh line from the keg to the faucet filled with beer or foam? if foam, that would explain how the "beer" would get to the short gas tube if switched. The keg could be foaming making the height inside of course rise reaching the dip tube. If the line is filled with beer ad just turns to foam when hitting the glass, Do as suggested, adjust regulator down to 9psi or so, then vent and let sit for a couple days.

I looked at it last night after getting home and everything is set up proper all tubes are in the right spot.

Anyways I pulled the lid off the corny this AM and everything looked "liquidy" again instead of "foamy". I set the regulator for 9 PSI after bleeding the valve a few times and put the tapper on the keg just to flush the supply line out. The stuff was very cloudy and heady. I've disconnected it from the tap and CO2 and left it in the keg'er to settle down. I'm not sure when I'll be able to re-carb it but from the looks of it this AM it won't be anytime soon. : (

Bummer too cause it tastes great...I guess that's the silver lining...it'll only get better once it settles down again.

Back