Adding Mango to my Belgian WIT - Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalojoe29

Reaction score
I'm brewing the Orange Witty Monk Belgian WIT from Extract and it has been in the primary fermenter for 9 days now. I plan to leave it in the primary for two full weeks (5 more days) before moving it to the secondary.

I just want to verify that my my understanding is correct:

I will put the sanitized mango in the secondary and leave that in there for another two weeks?

Does anyone recommend how much mango I should add in there?

Thanks a lot!

Ive used 1 mango per gallon in the past, sliced into wedges. The next time I do it I would either cut them smaller or puree to increase the surface area and try and get more mango flavor out or use more mangos. . There is a lot of sugar in mangos, and alot of the flavor fermented out for for. Strong nose but not so much flavor. Also freeze the fruit first then thaw, it will break the fruit down to release more sugar and flavor.
cheers

Ive used 1 mango per gallon in the past, sliced into wedges. The next time I do it I would either cut them smaller or puree to increase the surface area and try and get more mango flavor out or use more mangos. . There is a lot of sugar in mangos, and alot of the flavor fermented out for for. Strong nose but not so much flavor. Also freeze the fruit first then thaw, it will break the fruit down to release more sugar and flavor.
cheers

Thank you very much for the quick response! That is really helpful information.

Since the sugar from the mango will ferment more, does that mean a higher ABV? ;-)

How do you mean "sanitized fruit?" I could see how you would sanitize a puree, by simmering, but how were you going to sanitize mango slices/chunks, or am I missing something (more than likely)?

I'm very curious, as I am adding mango to a secondary (for the first time) later this week, and had just planned to slice/chunk the manogs, and rack over them.

Thanks.

How do you mean "sanitized fruit?" I could see how you would sanitize a puree, by simmering, but how were you going to sanitize mango slices/chunks, or am I missing something (more than likely)?

I'm very curious, as I am adding mango to a secondary (for the first time) later this week, and had just planned to slice/chunk the manogs, and rack over them.

Thanks.

According to the local homebrew supply shop guys, I should sanitize the fruit by dipping it in the sanitizing solution that I've made. In this case, it's a 5 gallon bucket with hot water and Star San. Simply dunk it in there for a minute or less maybe just to get off any fresh bacteria.

Again, I am seriously a newb when it comes to homebrewing. This is my first batch ever.

Are there any more experienced brewers out there that can show us the error of our ways or validate this process?

Thanks!

Back