Pit Cookin'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am roasting a small pig this weekend for a "Harvest Party" we are having. I am probably going to toss a turkey, some chickens, a large chunk of venison (if I can find it in time).

It'll all go into a "custom" pit I have had in my yard for years. (I'll post a pic or two soon)

In any case, I think we "pit cookers" are a fairly rare breed and you don't find much on the method on the interwebs. I figured this forum might not be a bad place to start.

I freakin' love cooking in my pit and with the exception of one pig I roasted in 2011, I have been extremely happy with the results (and 2011 wasn't the pit's fault).

Anyway... Just seeing if anyone else uses this method for home cooking. I know it is THE method for "real barbecue" throughout the South although my pit is slightly modified.

First... what you wanna do is get on HBT and find a *********. (which I've done in spades).

Hey... you mock all you want but this years 270 pound hog was effin' killer.

I love cooking with that pit. I just don't get that much opportunity. A 40-or-so pound pig this weekend with a bigass turkey and a bunch of other birds. lookin' forward to it.

I always wondered how to cook a pig in the ground.

Would like to see your pics.

I always wondered how to cook a pig in the ground.

Would like to see your pics.

Here is an old video of the pit being built. I don't use the burlap and cabbage anymore but I thought they worked well. I had a big stupid "roasting pan " fabricated to hold big 275+ lb pigs.

I will take some pics this weekend of the pit working.

[ame]http://youtu.be/n0FPVTUlgx8[/ame]

we used to do this at an old job of mine every thanksgiving.

burn logs in a pit, give the hot coals a light layer of dirt, have the pig wrapped in foil with salt, pepper, spices (rub if thats you) then wrapped that all in burlap bags that were wet, toss in the hole on light dirt layer over coals, bury the eff'r & pull up the tie wires in the morning.

that pork just fell, FELL apart.

Going 35 lb pig with a good sized (buying to tonight so hopefully about 18 lbs) turkey next to it in a huge "roasting pan" I had fabricated and then will lay a grate over the top of the pan and line up three ducks over the pig and turkey so the pig and turkey baste in the duck fat. Seal it all up in the pit and open fire roast everthing.

1) Az and Dataz can go pound each other before they make another deep fry joke... I PUT HOLES IN THE PAN YOU A-HOLES!!! (hee hee)
2) I'll put the pig, turkey and ducks all in at different and appropriate times.
3) It will be full of WIN

I have never done pit cooking or experienced any of it but have always been fascinated by the idea. Hell I would love to learn how to smoke a whole hog but there aren't many/any people that I know that will or can teach me that.

BTW, We are still wainting to see your pics you've been takling about since Monday ;)

Make sure and post some pics of the end reult too! :D

I remember (and fondly miss) the pit cooked pig and other proteins from the beach when I lived in Hawaii.

Got the pit cleaned out. Gonna start a fire soon. Small pig today so I am only looking at maybe five hours of roasting time.

image.jpg

First... what you wanna do is get on HBT and find a *********. (which I've done in spades).

Hey... you mock all you want but this years 270 pound hog was effin' killer.

I love cooking with that pit. I just don't get that much opportunity. A 40-or-so pound pig this weekend with a bigass turkey and a bunch of other birds. lookin' forward to it.

Good thing you're doing this today, before the hurricane and winter storm hits at the same time.

I'm awaiting the mailman, as my invitation to this event has seemingly been lost in the mail.

Haha. Nah, this is just a little "hahvest pahty". Just 45-50 people. Not one of our real parties.

Hey, I invited you to the real party this past summer!

Should have at least five beers on tap.

And yeah, we are lucking out on timing. This storm is looking ugly. I got the generator dusted off and standing by.

Wtf. I spun it on my phone!!

Anyway... The rig is set up for really big pigs (270+ lbs) so it looks silly for a little 32 pounder. That said, it'll make my life easier and I don't think it'll be as ridiculous once I add the turkey and the three ducks.

Cape Brewing said:
Wtf. I spun it on my phone!!

You're using a Droid, and taking the picks vertical. Try just taking your shots horizontal.

And guys.. What happened with the frying? :D

On an iPhone and I'm taking it vertically and posting it and then took it vertically, rotated it once in my photo album and posted it... And for the same effect

Pigs in.

Turkey going in the pit in about 45 minutes or so with the ducks

image.jpg

I think I need to go and hang out with you all in MA for awhile ;)

That looks damn good.

Cape Brewing said:
I am kinda surprised I am apparently the only one around that uses a "pit" like this

True. Not everyone can afford a fryer basket big enough to use a pit like you do.

(JK I remember following the cowturdu...lots of meat smoking with avid interest.)

We're doing one on a Caja tomorrow. A full on pit with a couple hondo pig in it sounds great but our water table is about 1 inch below the surface. Otherwise I would have built one yesterday.

I suppose with a big enough HERMs setup we could sous vide one in the ground.

Cape Brewing said:
Him too...

(Didn't get a pic of the turkey for some reason)

So, this is what we are lookin to do. So you don't wrap anymore? Do you just put him in as-is, on that grate?

Yeah... For little ones like that one is, yes. I just place them on the grate like that. For the big ones, i have that huge roasting.

(Yeah yeah.. With holes drilled in it)

Latest posts

Back