Wyeast 3068 Hefe, unpleasant odor when drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a basic Hefe with 3068, fermented for 2 weeks, and it's been in the keg for 2 weeks.

Tastes quite nice, but has an "off" odor. Kind of sulphury.

That yeast produces a lot of sulfur. You might have some luck purging the keg a couple times a day. Sulfur is quite volatile and should blow off.

I have that same problem in hefe bottles using the same yeast. I believe this happened last year in the same brew. I kegged and bottled 5 gal then and now. I noticed the sulphur taste was MUCH less prevalent in the keg than the bottles, but in the bottles it seemed to disappear over time.

With 3068 I have found if I make a big starter I get substantially less sulphur smell. I also find that letting it sit in primary for 3 weeks reduces the sulphur smell on the rare occasion it crops up since making a proper size starter.

I guess, I was just under the impression that you could drink it real young. I'm going to try burping the keg a bunch, and see if that helps. It doesn't bother me, and it tastes great. Wonder if I dry hop with something?

I did a decent sized starter, and fermented at 62 as per Jamil. I raised it at the end to try and work out some of that Sulphur. It's certainly better than when I initally kegged it.. but SWMBO hated the aroma.

I know this is about 3068 but with 2565 (kolsch) it had to sit in primary for 4 weeks and it still sort of smelled like sulphur at bottling. After they spent 2 weeks in the bottles all the sulphur had gone. I do plan on using 3068 this weekend so good to know I'll have to treat this one the same way.

stat said:
I know this is about 3068 but with 2565 (kolsch) it had to sit in primary for 4 weeks and it still sort of smelled like sulphur at bottling. After they spent 2 weeks in the bottles all the sulphur had gone. I do plan on using 3068 this weekend so good to know I'll have to treat this one the same way.

I had a plastic off taste from kolsch yeast that disappeared after a 3 week 35 degree lagering period.

Back