Adding some sort of sugar to barleywine, should I make candi sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple other options for you are:

8) Cane Jaggery (pale colored)

9) Palm Jaggery (the stuff I used in my RIS was SUPER dark)

10) Piloncillo (I suspect you being in Houston this should be easy to get, similar to cane jaggery)

Using only 1lb of the real dark jaggery wouldn't affect color much PLUS it tastes so rich and delicious. It will add some of the molasses flavor that the brown sugar has minus the mineral taste that brown sugar we get in the states. The paler sugar won't affect color at all and lend less flavor.

A couple other options for you are:

8) Cane Jaggery (pale colored)

9) Palm Jaggery (the stuff I used in my RIS was SUPER dark)

10) Piloncillo (I suspect you being in Houston this should be easy to get, similar to cane jaggery)

Using only 1lb of the real dark jaggery wouldn't affect color much PLUS it tastes so rich and delicious. It will add some of the molasses flavor that the brown sugar has minus the mineral taste that brown sugar we get in the states. The paler sugar won't affect color at all and lend less flavor.

I have never heard of Jaggery, but I know exactly what piloncillo is. Do you typically have to go to a specialty store for jaggery? After some googling, it seems jaggery is India's version of piloncillo. How much different does this taste than dark brown sugar though?

Jaggery is a sugar made primarily in India and a few other countries. If you know of a Indian grocery store swing buy and check it out. Do not buy powered stuff though buy it in a solid molded cone/half sphere shape.

Jaggery Thread

Plus while you're there if you brew belgian style wits pick up some coriander for dirt cheap that tastes leaps and bounds better than what you can get in the grocery store.

Jaggery is a sugar made primarily in India and a few other countries. If you know of a Indian grocery store swing buy and check it out. Do not buy powered stuff though buy it in a solid molded cone/half sphere shape.

Jaggery Thread

Plus while you're there if you brew belgian style wits pick up some coriander for dirt cheap that tastes leaps and bounds better than what you can get in the grocery store.

wow, that stuff is DARK! When googling, it says that it's just cane juice that's been heated at high heat until dark. Could I just take turbinado with a bit of water and boil at a low temp for a LONG time until I achieved that color?

Don't know never tried. For the time and effort I'd just get the dark sugar if you could find it. I used 3lbs of it in a seriously over the top RIS this past week and besides it being 16% and green and really bitter you can taste what flavor the sugar gave the beer. It's a great adjunct.

Don't know never tried. For the time and effort I'd just get the dark sugar if you could find it. I used 3lbs of it in a seriously over the top RIS this past week and besides it being 16% and green and really bitter you can taste what flavor the sugar gave the beer. It's a great adjunct.

By dark sugar, are you talking about piloncillo?

By dark I was talking the almost black jaggery. If you don't want the dark color just get regular piloncillo it's essentially the same, from what I understand, as the pale jaggery.

Alright, thanks for the advice man. As we speak I'm making the candi sugar as said in the Wiki. I'm going to make it, harden it, then grind it in the food processor and compare flavors between the sugars.

Back