austin homebrew supply brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply, i cant imagine anythign being wrong with any kind of stainless steel pot. but it doesn't hurt to ask. i think i'll buy it.

not bad for the price but sometimes you can get a 32 to 40 qt alum or even ss pot and a turkey fryer for $40 to $60 dollars. check sam's and costco around thanksgiving

Why don't you just go to a local restaurant supply store? Just a thought...

Restaurant supply stores don't have great prices for those kinds of things. The restaurant supply stores around here sell mostly aluminum pots in sizes larger than 32qts, and they are more expensive than that basic stainless pot at Austin Homebrew. And lids are always sold separately. The AceMart near me has Volrath SS pots that are 53 qts, but they are a couple hundred dollars (not including a lid). You'll almost always be better off buying from a homebrew supply store or buying a turkey fryer with a 40 qt SS pot.

Restaurant supply stores don't have great prices for those kinds of things. The restaurant supply stores around here sell mostly aluminum pots in sizes larger than 32qts, and they are more expensive than that basic stainless pot at Austin Homebrew. And lids are always sold separately. The AceMart near me has Volrath SS pots that are 53 qts, but they are a couple hundred dollars (not including a lid). You'll almost always be better off buying from a homebrew supply store or buying a turkey fryer with a 40 qt SS pot.

Not true.

I have this 60qt pot. Got it for $70 shipped from Instawares' ebay store.

Here's a comparable 8 gallon kettle from Instawares.

If I were the OP, I'd get a bigger pot and make it aluminum....that way you won't have to drop a few hundred bucks. Big stainless kettles are crazy expensive and aluminum does the job.

I stand corrected. I went to a brick-and-mortar restaurant supply store near me and their prices were not nearly that good. I would recommend getting the lid as well.

Thanks for all the posts. I have checked a lot of places (incl local cooking supply shops) and only found expensive pots. I know that aluminum is fine, but i think that i am going to stick with stainless steel, especially since i found this one so cheap. thanks to all.

It's your $$, but don't come back here crying when you decide you want to do an all-grain batch over 1.075 OG without having to dial your efficiency down to 45% because you can't fit hardly any sparge runoff in your little 8 gallon pot. I speak from experience here: one of the best things I ever did was get that 60 qt pot, and I only do 5 gallon batches! Once you hit hot break and have alleviated the boilover risk, you can walk away and pay no attention to it until your late hop additions. It leaves you plenty of time to clean up, get stuff put away, etc. I found it much harder to do this with my 8 gallon kettle...that is, unless you want to spend more on a big batch because of your dialed-down efficiency.

Thanks for the hostility evan, i'll try to keep the tears to a minimum.

I found the 36qt bayou classic for $75 w/ shipping and will likely be going with that. I've tried to stay away from aluminum even though most say that it is fine.

Thanks for the hostility evan, i'll try to keep the tears to a minimum.

I found the 36qt bayou classic for $75 w/ shipping and will likely be going with that. I've tried to stay away from aluminum even though most say that it is fine.

I wasn't being hostile, sorry if it came across that way. I just find it curious that you'd be like "thanks for the advice, I'm going my own way" after asking.

What's your aversion to aluminum?

I'm tellin' ya, though, when it comes to kettles, you can't go too big.

Well my original post asked whether or not anyone had any problems with the linked brewpot... but thats neither here nor there.

So far the 10g pot on austin homebrew seems to be the best deal for the money. I don't know that I'm gonna find a better deal than $70 for a 10g ss pot (then again i never thought id find one for under $150). But if anyone knows of a better deal on ss, I'm all ears. Thanks everyone

jmmarvel are you going to use the brew pot on your kitchen range? If so, make sure it will fit. Some ranges have low vent hoods that might not easily accept a very tall pot. Oftentimes something 40 to 60 qts will work better on a propane turkey fryer burner or similar. You'll be boiling outside in that case.

Also many kitchen ranges take a loooooooong time to bring 5 to 7 gallons of liquid to a boil. 3 to 4 gallons is usually no problem for a kitchen range. My natural gas stove in my kitchen takes forever to get 6 gallons of water to boil when I'm boiling Mason jars for canning. A couple of days ago when I was canning some peach preserves, I decided to boil my jars outside on my brewstand for just that reason. Much faster.

Nope, I've actually never brewed on my stove. I have an outdoor propane burner. Thanks for the advice - assuming my stove could actually boil more than 2 gallons, it probly wouldnt fit under the hood.

Back