What is the "worst" beer you like? Your guilty pleasure, if you will...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
All (read: most) of us are pretty appreciative of beer, especially if we make it ourselves. Throughout all of the threads and recipes I've read through, we call Budweiser Buttweiser, hate on the commercial breweries, and generally no one is looking for a Coors clone.

But sometimes these crappy beers can have a soft place to cuddle up to in your cold and callous heart, otherwise predominately owned by craft and home brews.

Which beer that most of us would consider BAD do you retain as something special to you and why?

For me, it's Labbatt's Blue Light. I understand and know that this beer is crap. Tastes like puddle water that someone threw iodine in, but when I'm out on a lake and it's really damn hot, there are few things better than cracking a nice cold Blue Light, but only if you catch a fish FIRST, btw (yes, i know i sound like an add for labbatts, but remember, I did call it crap first).

Corona. With a lime, and out with the girls in the summer, it's a winner.

BTW, I don't mind Labatt's at all. BUT not the light. They sponsor a pond hockey tournament, and you get a case for each game. You just have to skate over and pick up the beer. All the other hockey players on my team want the Light. So, I drink the Light during the tournament. I tell them, "Hey, we just played three games of hockey in two days- we can afford the calories!" but they don't listen.

PBR and High life have been known to end up in my fridge.

I don't actually think it is crap beer it's just different. AND CHEAP!

Brings me back to when I had no money.

Yeungling.

Oh, I forgot the "why" part of the question. I guess it's because tastes ok, it's relatively cheap around here, and it makes golfing much more enjoyable after 12 or 15.

budweiser, PBR, corona, tecate.... just about anything thats not a "light"

PBR. It has flavor. Not a ton of flavor, but much better than standard BMC (yes I know it's contract brewed).

I had a tall boy the other day (in a glass), and I could taste the pilsner.

Shiner Bock!! I cut my beer drinkin teeth on Shiner as a teenager in Texas. I still love it. I know its not a "real" bock, but I dont care I think its awesome.

For me it's buttwiper American Ale. Mostly because the bottles are nice and heavy compared to most.

Hmmmm .... NewCastle is Amazing I love me Brown Ale, but as well this is not a butt wipe beer. I would have to say , MGD. (miller genuine draft) Mmmmmhmmmmm takes the cake. Its too bad i stopped drinking it, but if i were at a party and i wanted to drink and they had MGD and buttwiser and all of the other generic crap! i would drink the MGD till it was gone and not feel bad.

High Life. But I'll drink ANY beer and usually enjoy them. I've only ever dumped 2 beers down the drain. I've found now I just won't pay for beer that isn't "good".

The one special one would be Corona, no lime, out on the boat with Pops. And of course, not until a keeper is in the cooler. I only see him once a year, and since he's an offshore fishing fanatic, we go once or twice while I'm there. That's the only time I typically drink Corona, and it tastes great.

I don't know why, but when I'm 1300 miles from home, then 60+ miles off shore fishing, Corona tastes like a soda pop at 8:00 a.m.

Yeungling.

Oh, I forgot the "why" part of the question. I guess it's because tastes ok, it's relatively cheap around here, and it makes golfing much more enjoyable after 12 or 15.

Is that holes or beers ;)

Count me in for another Newcastle, but only from a sealed case or a keg. It's palatable. Yeungling Bock is a personal favorite for me, but i dont see it anymore.

My guilty pleasure is Molson Canadian. My canadian wife got me hooked on it when I had no idea what good beer was, and it now reminds me of being younger. It has a good enough flavor for moose piss.

Coors Lite. Not so much that I enjoy the beer, but it was my go to beer for tailgating, so I have a lot of fond memories (and a lot of missing gaps in my memory) thanks to the Silver Bullet.

Tecate. During the Texas summer, there's times when nothing hits the spot like a Mexican beer.

Coors Lite. Not so much that I enjoy the beer, but it was my go to beer for tailgating, so I have a lot of fond memories (and a lot of missing gaps in my memory) thanks to the Silver Bullet.

Tecate. During the Texas summer, there's times when nothing hits the spot like a Mexican beer.

+1 on Coors Lite. Can drink a 12 pack and still not have a hangover. A great summer beer. Budweiser, on the other hand, always gives me a headache.

There's a beer in western Canada made by Molson called "Old Style Pilsner" or 'Vitamin P', as it's affectionately called.

The beer is pi$$y and kinda bitter, though drinkable when really cold. I was up in Fort Nelson, BC - which is 1600 kms NORTH of Vancouver - visiting a buddy. We went winter camping at a hot springs, it was -20C and the pillies were superb.

It also has a great design on the can. I used to try and find the bunny on the can when my old man was drinking it while watching the hockey.

Here's what the can looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Style_Pilsner

Stag.

Ice cold, it's actually not a bad beer. Of course, being from St Louis, I don't care what everyone says, a budweiser is a classic for a reason. No it's not the most flavorful thing you can drink, but it's good for what it is.

PBR and Tecate

The drywallers for our last house turned me on to Tecate. I was cutting in for some speakers one Sunday and they came by to do some touch up work. I think there were six of them piled in an old Astrovan. They didn't speak any English and I don't speak Spanish, but when they said "cervesa" after all the work was done, I said "hell yes". We sat around for an hour and put down a case of the stuff.

There's a beer in western Canada made by Molson called "Old Style Pilsner" or 'Vitamin P', as it's affectionately called.

The beer is pi$$y and kinda bitter, though drinkable when really cold. I was up in Fort Nelson, BC - which is 1600 kms NORTH of Vancouver - visiting a buddy. We went winter camping at a hot springs, it was -20C and the pillies were superb.

It also has a great design on the can. I used to try and find the bunny on the can when my old man was drinking it while watching the hockey.

Here's what the can looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Style_Pilsner

I don't mind Pil if I don't have to pay for it. They were a major sponsor at a music festival in Calgary, and a few of the venues had free tall-boys of Pilsner. I got to see one of my favourite bands at a small venue, with maybe 25 people in the audience, and was told at the entrance "free beer to your left". Awesome night! My wife used to work at a bike shop, and they would have free pil at the Christmas party. The few times I actually bought it, though, made me realize how mediocre the stuff is.

My guilty pleasure beer has got to be Labatt 50. My brother and I used to drink it in high school/university because no one would take our beer at a party.

Stag.

Ice cold, it's actually not a bad beer.
There's a reason these big brewery beers have stupid "COLD" graphics on them: ANY beer is good when it's at 40F! You can't taste them!!! :mug:

Mine's Red Dog. A guilty pleasure from college days, when we couldn't afford much in the way of good beers; a 30-pack for like $9.00 or something stupid like that, I'll still grab one when camping or canoeing. Or Icehouse. Something about those Plank Road beers I like. Just a bit more flavor than Bud.

Or a Lowenbrau. :rockin:

Anyone ever enjoy an 'Extra Old Stock?'

Ahh ... another guilty pleasure - Hi-Test! Sweet malt liquor.

The old Extra Old Stock delivery trucks used to have 'Hi-Test' monogramed in the front grill - sweet.

During the 1994 Stanley Cup playoffs, when I was younger and stupider, each time I drank Old Stock, the Canucks won. My superstition took the 'Nucks all the way to Game 7 of the Finals (they lost and a riot ensued in downtown Vancouver). Had some pretty serious hangovers that playoff run.

For me it's Strohs. It's not a bad beer, but the memories of a trip I took to the Strohs brewery in Detroit with my father makes it a special beer for me. Plus it's fire brewed, thats got to count for something. :)

Well, I truly enjoy OPB (Other Peoples Beer....meaning, I didn't pay). In that case, I'll suck back anything in front of me.

If I'm buying my "guilty pleasures" are PBR, natty ice, and (dear beer gods, I am so very sorry) Mickeys. The last two are purely nostalgia, but they go down quick and make me think of my college days at the Fraternity House.....I need to go sip a homebrew and atone for my sins.

Great thread!

Original Coors while tubing down the Poudre river is a pleasure that only the lucky ones know.

PBR, and I really like Newcastle, I didn't know it was classified as a bad beer. That's a staple for me. :)

For me it's Strohs. It's not a bad beer, but the memories of a trip I took to the Strohs brewery in Detroit with my father makes it a special beer for me. Plus it's fire brewed, thats got to count for something. :)
Man, you couple a trip to the Strohs brewery with a side trip to the Henry Ford museum, and you could almost hear Tim Allen's signature "Men are Pigs" bit on the wind! :D

There's a reason these big brewery beers have stupid "COLD" graphics on them: ANY beer is good when it's at 40F! You can't taste them!!! :mug:

Disagree. I can't take Milwaukee's Best at any temperature. It tastes like the trash can at a fair smells.

Well,
I was just going to say Milwaukee's Best Light...... That is my lawn mowing beer. Super cheap and I am OK with the flavors.... jgilbreth, I guess we go to different fairs, the garbage cans at the fairs I am familiar with are more like Heineken.

BTW- I drink Yuengling, but never considered it one of "those beers"!

Back