AHS Stone Imperial Russian Stout Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip_T

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread on this kit since I just brewed it up last weekend and didn't see a whole lot of information out there on it.

Brewed the mini mash version and overshot the OG by a few points, but I'm not too worried about that. Used a 1L yeast starter and holy Mt. Vesuvius! Blow off tube definitely required on this one. Glad I use one as SOP now. Unfortunately, I still didn't have enough head space and ended up losing at least 1/2 gallon through the blow off tube. I need a bigger fermentor.

Anyways, I figured that since Stone usually releases this in May(ish), I would have about 5 months since brew date to let it age a while and try a side by side comparison this summer....but the majority of it will be for next fall/winter so it can have at least 10 months to age. I'll post here with any results.

Anyone else try this kit? Did you find it close to the original? I've tried several DIY recipe's and ended up making stout beer, but nothing close to Stone's version. This batch already tastes/smells much better than any of my previous DIY attempts.

Cheers

Phil

I brewed the extract kit up at the end of August and just kegged before New Years. I had a few pints about a week ago and I think it is very close. I would like to do a side by side comparison, almost a blind tast test on myself if you will...

I was away for a few days right after I brewed it and the night I got home, I heard a loud BANG from the basement, it competely shot the airlock off and smacked my cold air return. It was a very active fermentation...

I think I shall have one tonight again!

Thanks for the review rebl68. This is the beer that took me down the craft beer rabbit hole so I'm hoping to due it justice.

I was running a normal size siphon tube out of the standard orange dual tip glass carboy top into a water jug and it almost blew that off. Time go bigger I guess.

2 weeks in the primary, 4 weeks in the secondary and now bottled. FG a little high at 1.038, but that's as low as I could get it. The sample I took at bottling was actually the best sample I've tasted to date and it did seem to have some similarities to the real deal..... can not wait for this to be ready.

Target OG = 1.096
Target FB = 1.020
I just stalled out around 1.038....not sure why. Yeast was healthy and I used a starter....fermentation was vigorous and temps were between 65 and 70. Oh well, we see how it comes out in a few months.

My all grain kit for this is supposed to be delivered on Apr 3. I've got this, a Dogfish Head 90min clone and a Sam Adams Scottish Ale to brew up but I'm REALLY leaning toward doing this one first.

---Chris

Even though I missed my gravities, this beer is coming along nicely. After 1 1/2 months in the bottle, I had to crack open one to test it out. Fantastic stout and by far, my best stout to date. I didn't have a Stone to side by side test it, but from what I remember, it's pretty darn close. I highly recommend this kit. The only thing missing is that it could use a little bit more mouthfeel, but maybe that will improve with age.

The only thing missing is that it could use a little bit more mouthfeel, but maybe that will improve with age.

It finished that much higher than expected and you think it needs more mouthfeel? Are you sure your hydrometer is working correctly or did you use a refractometer? Either way I'm with you I always love my russian imperials when they finish a little high...

It finished that much higher than expected and you think it needs more mouthfeel? Are you sure your hydrometer is working correctly or did you use a refractometer? Either way I'm with you I always love my russian imperials when they finish a little high...

I have been wondering if maybe my hydrometer is out of whack lately since I've been getting some odd measurements lately. And your right, I was expecting a much thicker beer with that high of FG. Either way, the beer somehow managed to come out fantastic and I can't wait for May/June to come around so I can pick up a real one to compare.

Back