Mulberry Wine: replacing sugar/raisins with honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pith

Reaction score
I'm interested in Jack Keller's recipe number 1 for Mulberry Wine, in this link:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request135.asp

I'm wanting to turn this recipe into (or find another recipe for...?) a semi-sweet mulberry mead. I'm quite new to this, but I've been thinking about it and would it work if I replaced the 2lb sugar and 1lb raisins with just 4lb of honey? That makes a 6:4 weight ratio of mulberry to honey.

Also, as I'm in Australia, the mulberries we get here are the morus nigra (black mulberry), rather than the morus rubra (red mulberry) that I assume Jack had access to in America, and was probably what he was thinking about when he's talking about lack of flavour (I know mori nigrae are bursting with tart and sweet).

Also, I saw in another thread that adding the mulberries to primary means less mulberry flavour in the end, but that adding them in secondary might overpower the honey flavours. Since I'll probably be making some other meads at the same time as this one, I'm a teensy bit more interested in the flavours that the mulberry imparts, so what do you suggest I do? I'm assuming that I'll add some to primary and some to secondary. It's just a matter of what ratio.

Thanks in advance for your help guys! :)

Back