pitching on cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cackalacky

Reaction score
I am wanting to pitch on an existing yeast cake. Is it really just as simple as:
1- rack off beer
2- pour on new beer
?

Yes - so long as the time between 1 & 2 is short (I typically rack off beer while new wort is cooling).

Also, if recipes differ, you wouldn't want to put a lighter beer on a darker/highly hopped cake - there is some transfer.

Yes, Rather violent. I did this for the first time the other day and nearly had a lid explosion. Thank god I caught it in time.

Good deal. Thanks.

I have a mild ale with US-04 (1.034 OG), will be followed with ESB. (still figuring out which recipe to use.

Any one know how many times you can do this? I have a recipe that I really like and I'm trying to nail down my numbers for all-grain. This is what I have done so far. Made first batch pitched new packet of nott. Made second batch and pitched it onto first batch yeast cake. Going to make batch number three this weekend. Should I use a new packet of nott, pour onto same yeast cake or wash said yeast cake and make a starter with it?

I'll personally only use the cake twice (for a total of 3 batches) - though I've heard you can do it more. Probably not true, but it just seems like the risk of infection and/or risk of off tastes from the trub that's accumulated would go up with each re-use.

And, when washing yeast, I'll only wash the yeast when the cake hasn't been re-used - I'm sure it doesn't matter, but it's what I've been doing and it works.

Back