Oh dear god that smell...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
Just replaced my blowoff (which was in a bottle of water sitting outside my room, while the fermenter was inside) with a typical airlock. I now have the bubbles letting off the smell of 1000 rotten eggs into my room. It's time to move this horrid thing...Or at least whip out the febreze.

I'm making an apricot wheat with WLP051, which is consistently known for the egg smell. Yeasts have been known to put off sulfur smells...lots of them...or else I'd be worried :D

Note to self: don't use WLP051!

I like to sniff my air locks.... right now my tripel is off gassing a bit and stinkin up the closet and an amber ale smells delicious ...

I fermented a dunkel not too long ago with WLP300 in the higher range (69-70) to get a higher level of banana esters, made my room smell like bananas all week. I loved it.

Maybe when I feel like taking the shot of vodka already in there :p can't be wasting any alcohol now can we!?

Just bottled my APA fermented with wlp051. It was horribly eggy for 3 weeks; a friend of mine asked if I kept an elephant in my closet, and swmbo refused to stay at my place during fermentation. She likes the final result, though. I thought I had an infection due to the smell (and my 80 % attenuation. Must have misread the Öchsle weight as the beer is nice and malty, not dry as I would have expected), and so did the guy at my LHBS. WLP051 reeks, but can deliver a nice, full body to your beer.

I fermented a dunkel not too long ago with WLP300 in the higher range (69-70) to get a higher level of banana esters, made my room smell like bananas all week. I loved it.

That's the normal smell I get when I brew with WLP051 (use it all the time for my California Commons and a few other American styles). But yeah, I have gotten a couple recipes that wind up with a sulfur smell during ferment. Was the smell any different with the blow off tube? I luckily found enough room in my pantry to keep conditioning carboys in: so whatever oders are given off blend in nicely with that god awful smelling shrimp paste I have laying around (whenever I feel the hankering for cooking Thai food) :drunk::D

This always brings Lynard Skynard to my mind,

"Ooooh Oooooh That smell."

"Can't you smell that smeeell."

"Ooooh Ooooh That smell"

"The smell of death surrounds yooooooou"

Back