Got to go to the E.R. last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracked1

Reaction score
I was carrying a mattress through my garage last night and bumped against a Scottish Claymore (a big a$$ sword) which then pulled out of its mount and fell towards my head. So, I blocked it with my arm... 11 stitches and a tetnus shot later I was back at my house pouring a pint. Felt a bit foolish but still had fun explaining to the nurses and doc how I was sliced with a sword. Made it fun for them at least. Since it was on Thanksgiving they saw a lot of lacerations from bean cans, carving knives, etc... But, I was the only sword wound! :D Who fricken does that? This guy...

Man, glad you didn't get hit in the head.

I've got a large sword hanging over my workbench on two nails. Now you've got me thinking....

It's like the legend of the Sword of Damocles.

Yeah, you should add a third nail.

Glad the injury wasn't more serious, cracked1.
Did you get any turkey?

That's going to be a bad a$$ story in time.

Hope all is well,

Cheers and glad you're ok,

A Claymore will MESS you UP. My friend did get cracked in the head. I won't hang any of my swords (real, sharp) unless they are over 8ft up, in studs, with those padded curved hangers. They are heavy duty and the sword sets down into them making it very sturdy.

Cheaper then the ER bill

Whew! Thank the brewing gods for that one!

I have a rapier hanging, but I left it in the case as a precaution. Now you got me wanting to check the nails holding it up!

why do i see this turning into a story involving a bed, a scottish lass, and an attack by a claymore in a few years? :D i see your location, too. i went to west jr high and nampa high, cracked1

why do i see this turning into a story involving a bed, a scottish lass, and an attack by a claymore in a few years? :D i see your location, too. i went to west jr high and nampa high, cracked1

SWMBO is a redhead with the tmper to match so if there was a scottish lass involved she would definitely be the one weilding the claymore.

I'm technicaly in Nampa but I'm kind of close to Middleton. When was the last time you were out here? Nampa is a different place than what most people remember it being.

yep, it's changed due to the californians moving in for the cheap houses that used to be there. i have a sister who lives in green leaf (about 20 miles from there), so i'm familiar with it, still. even some of the street names have changed. i have several friends living in nampa, middleton, and boise

You need a brew to commemorate your injury. Rob Roy Red?

images

I can't believe after all these posts no one has asked for pics. You guys are slipping.

Pics?

It's not a real impressive looking wound. Especially after it was cleaned and stitched and not a bloody flap of skin. I kept telling SWMBO that all I needed was a couple butterfly bandages. She wasn't too keen on that idea. :D

wound.jpg

Here's the culprit.

sword.jpg

I have the same sword. A friend gave it to me after seeing the Claymore I bought in Scotland. I think he got it with 200 other knives. Here's a tip, don't try to use it in a sword fight. It's not really great steel. Ask me how I know.

A fine looking wound. Kinda resembles a viking ship in that photo.

That's funny... I didn't notice that before. I guess it goes with the viking I have tattoo'd on that same arm.

I have the same sword. A friend gave it to me after seeing the Claymore I bought in Scotland. I think he got it with 200 other knives. Here's a tip, don't try to use it in a sword fight. It's not really great steel. Ask me how I know.

LOL!! There's a reason why that sword has been in the garage all these years. I guess it doesn't look TOO bad but it is really obvious that it is NOT a quality piece. I have other ones in the house that I could actually use if necessary.

I almost wore a kilt that day too. Would have made it even better!

More of a firearms guy myself... Whatever floats your boat! (the saying "never bring a knife to a gunfight" applies here!)

Thanks for the pictures. If you get a scar you can just tell people you blocked a sword with your arm. No back story makes it much more impressive.

I keep two of my swords in the coat rack/umbrella stand near my apartment's front door (wouldnt a home invader curse his luck THAT day), and the third you know where I keep that. Zing! Zang! Zoom!

Seriously though, thats a badass scar and makes you look like a badass yourself. All my scars are chicken stock or butternut squash soup burns. Feh!

Who sharpened it? Most display swords I've seen are dull.

Not to mention that often, as pointed out, the steel in these things is so poor that you could do heinous damage to it by messing with it. Best to be left to a pro if at all.

Funny you mention that. I got a bench grinder some years ago and ran around the house sharpening everything. I almost sharpened my large sword, but I had premonitions of an event like the one above, so I did not sharpen it.

Depends on the quality. I have one that cost SWMBO almost $1500, and it can hold it's own for sure.

You all own swords?

Who the hell owns swords?

;)

They are something different.

More of a firearms guy myself... Whatever floats your boat! (the saying "never bring a knife to a gunfight" applies here!)

I'm a firearms guy too, buut most people can't draw inside 30 feet and take a guy down, and seeing as how it's about a 5-6ft sword (mine is) it may be ill advised to underestimate it. Personally I'm a Krav Maga "veteran" so i'm content to not bring anything to the fight :ban::mug:

Who sharpened it? Most display swords I've seen are dull.

Displays are, and some come authentic. Honestly though many of the larger display swords can cut you up real good under the weight/force alone. For example I have some weird two sided split staff butter knife looking one that SWMBO got me. It's about 12 feet long. Won't cut a sheet of paper, but i dropped it on my foot once and it cut right open.

@passedpawn: Nice sig, love the eagles. Not many people in my Gen know who they are, sadly. Henley is an amazing guitar player, he did an appearence on Howard Stern, live acoustic, amazing.

I want a replica of the Cloud sword from FF. Be nice to have that real life replica of the sword from Zelda also. My fav sword is still my real version of the Hatori Honso (Spelling) from Kill Bill.

Age 16 I made a pair in the garage using cord, duct tape and pipe full of sand. You guessed it, nailed myself right between the legs. That was the first time my grandmother ever heard me use the f-bomb, and she didnt even yell at me...

I do too much harm to myself with those things.

Lol

Back