grainmill motor explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insco2

Reaction score
has antone ever heard of using a explosion proof motor for your grain mill? im going to buy a jp maltmill and i need to put a motor on it and im afraid to buy a old motor any sugestions?

I've never seen an explosion-proof motor on a grain mill. At least, not for brewing. Commercial flour mills, yes. A malt mill doesn't do much more than crack the grain and the amount of dust created isn't much.

is anyone out there using an grain mill motor without any problems?

The hardest part is finding one with low enough RPM's. Standard motors are 1735, which even with speed reduction via pulleys gets it down to the 300 RPM range. About 300 RPMS at the mill itself is about as high as you want to go.

You can harvest a motor from a variety of applicances, dryers are good. Just make sure you look at the motor RPM's and the wiring diagram from the appliance so you know which wires do what. I got mine from a garage door opener which was rated at 1000 RPM's. The speed reduction gave me about 170 RPM's at the mill which works very well. The problem is, this motor wasn't meant to run 5 minutes at a time, so the thermal cut out kicks in for big grain bills and I have to wait a few minutes for the motor to cool down before I can finish milling. I see a new motor somewhere down the line.

Prosit!

I have a 1/3 hp, 6 amp dryer motor which runs on 120v. It is 1760 rpm (or thereabouts). I use a 2.25 inch pulley on the motor shaft and a 12 inch pulley on the mill. The mill I use 'Barley Crusher' says to use it from 300 to 500 rmp if motorized. I fall in this range with my setup. Everything works grand for me and the crush is very good.

Back