SG=.092 help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okemasis

Reaction score
I gave my Strawberry Rhubarb jam wine it's first rack today, and the SG is at .092!! My starting SG was 1.095 and I used Lalvin EC 1118 yeast.

My hydrometer scale doesnt even go that low, but this wine must be over 18%.. It doesn't taste TERRIBLE, I guess. Am I alright or have I made my first bad batch?

Yeast was pitched on Dec 20

1118 will do that to ya. Dont think about drinking it for at least a year if that. I think it should be mighty tasty in a few year at least. Personally I am not a fan of 1118. It takes too long to be drinkable and does not empart fruit esters like 71b does. 1118 is more like a locomotive that just blows through the sugars. Sure it ferments (even when stuck), but its not much in flavor.

Given that I am sure it will be alright in about a year or so.

Cheers:mug:

Read the value on the hydrometer under the miniscus and adjust for temp, you are probably around 13.5 like anna said. Drink up. :mug:

I'm not worried any more, just had a rookie panic when i thought my SG was .092! (Brain fart)
I'm only disssapointed because I thought I might get away without aging this much - It was tasting really good when I transfered to a carboy at 1.03 SG

My scale says 1.095 SG=13.12 Potential Alcohol and .992= -2.7

13.1-(-2.7) = 15.8%

I prefer your 13.5%, but please tell me how you get that.
And my bomb shelter cellar is a perfect 68 F (Celsius is better!)

I'm not worried any more, just had a rookie panic when i thought my SG was .092! (Brain fart)
I'm only disssapointed because I thought I might get away without aging this much - It was tasting really good when I transfered to a carboy at 1.03 SG

My scale says 1.095 SG=13.12 Potential Alcohol and .992= -2.7

13.1-(-2.7) = 15.8%

I prefer your 13.5%, but please tell me how you get that.
And my bomb shelter cellar is a perfect 68 F (Celsius is better!)

(OG-FG)*131
(1.095 - .992)*131
.103 (or 103 points) * 131= 13.493%

I did a google search for a calculator a while back. I found this one. It allows temp to be entered into the equation as well and tells a whole lot more. Don't know how accurate it is. It is an htm page so the calculations are in the source.

Thanks all... i guess I shouldn't be so married to the numbers on my cheapskate hydrometer!
I used the calculator and got 13.6 % ABV

Thanks Annasdad,for the 131 formula.. I've never seen it, but it's now in my notes!

I am new to the wine making ,tonight i start a 5 gal better bottle out of welchs white grape juice concentrate the receipe I made was /5 -12oz. Cans of concentrate,10lbs of sugar ,15 oz. of golden raisins ,10 tsp of acid blend, 5 -1/2 tsp of petric enzyme,5 tsp of yeast nutrient and 5 packs of fleischmanns highly active yeast i started the yeast until it had about an inch of foam built up dumped it in the mix and dawm it has just takin off .....I guess my question is how do you think I did and do you have any helpful words if advice?

Back