Cheese wax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In the middle of melting 3 batches of 6lbs of cheese wax and just want to pass things on along as I learn them so expect edits . . .

1. This shyte is sticky and the plastic has tons of static . . . tossing it into the freezer for a bit helps you get the plastic off
2. Frozen wax is hard as fawk to break up :fro:
3. 5quart metal paint pail holds 6lbs of melted wax very well and leave you plenty of room for dipping for even my 6inch mold
4. Tin foil to cover to keep dust and dog hair out when done
5. Use a silicon hot pad to pad your hands as you try to cut frozen wax cuz you CAN bruise the palms of your hands leaning on the back of a knife :eek:
6. For the curious I'm using a double boiler method with a dutch oven holding the water and the pail in the dutch oven . . . NO WAY am I going to put the pail right on the burner
7. Wire pail handles stay "warm" a lot longer then you would think
8. 6lbs of melted cheese wax takes longer then you would ever imagine to cool off. This morning (12 hours later) it was still soft and warm to the touch . . .

Good to know. I just ordered my first pound of cheese wax last night (will be here in 3 days) for a farmhouse cheddar I'm making tomorrow.:mug:
If you wax again I'd love to see pics to make myself feel more confident about my endeavors.

not waxing tonight just getting ready to dip next time. My first time waxing I use a brush and while I got the job done it was messy, painful and not 100% covered (pin holes >.< )

So I decided to dip, so next time I win :rockin:

In the middle of melting 3 batches of 6lbs of cheese wax and just want to pass things on along as I learn them so expect edits . . .

1. This shyte is sticky and the plastic has tons of static . . . tossing it into the freezer for a bit helps you get the plastic off
2. Frozen wax is hard as fawk to break up :fro:
3. 5quart metal paint pail holds 6lbs of melted wax very well and leave you plenty of room for dipping for even my 6inch mold
4. Tin foil to cover to keep dust and dog hair out when done
5. Use a silicon hot pad to pad your hands as you try to cut frozen wax cuz you CAN bruise the palms of your hands leaning on the back of a knife :eek:
6. For the curious I'm using a double boiler method with a dutch oven holding the water and the pail in the dutch oven . . . NO WAY am I going to put the pail right on the burner
7. Wire pail handles stay "warm" a lot longer then you would think
8. 6lbs of melted cheese wax takes longer then you would ever imagine to cool off. This morning (12 hours later) it was still soft and warm to the touch . . .

Pardon the pun, but doggone dog hair gets EVERYWHERE!!! :D

P.S. Haven't made any cheese yet, looking for a reliable raw milk source in the Omaha/Bellevue Nebraska area, but I can't wait...

P.S. Haven't made any cheese yet, looking for a reliable raw milk source in the Omaha/Bellevue Nebraska area, but I can't wait...
you can use whole milk from the store, just don't use ultra pasturized. Why wait... start making cheese, it's fun!

Pardon the pun, but doggone dog hair gets EVERYWHERE!!! :D

I also haven't made any (successful) cheese (using store bought milk). My next attempt will be with milk from:

Bryant Dairy Farm
13003 Nebraska 36
Omaha, NE 68142-4314
(402) 238-2066

8:30-10:30am on Odd or Even Days… call to find out which schedule is running.

Bring your own jars.

They are on the northwest side of Omaha so it might be a bit of a drive for you (only 8 miles from my house, so if this works out I'm set!). Another Java developer I know buys all his milk from there (not for cheese making, just for drinking). You do need to bring your own container(s), I'm planning on picking up some 1/2 gallon mason jars for this purpose, Although if I ever get to bigger batches I have a 3-gallon glass carboy...

One thing to help cut wax it dip the knife in hot water untill it gets warm-hot, it'll cut a few inches at a time with little effort. Just keep dipping and cutting...lol

Back