Using Wet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosgcm5

Reaction score
I have a friend who is about to harvest a TON of hops and had a few questions about using them fresh off the vine:

-I already know that I'll need 4-6x the weight equal the same amount as dry, and seeing as I was planning on an IPA with around 65 IBUS, will there be any ill effects (especially in utilization) of putting that many hops in kettle? It'll probably be close to 2 1/2 lbs. in a 6 gallon boil.

-Is the dry hopping procedure the same here? Just using 4-6x more hops?

-And finally, I am really gaining anything by doing this? I realize the hops are fresher, but is there really that great of a benefit of using them right off the vine, or should I just wait for him to dry them out and brew with them per usual?

I'm in no dire need of hops or anything, just curious as to what everyone thinks.

Cheers,
Cozzie

Some second hand information for you.
-I have brewed with someone doing a fresh hop. No ill effects putting that many hops in the kettle. Brewing with fresh hops will give a "greener" flavor. Since you have the opportunity, try it!
-I have NOT "dry hopped" with wet hops before. I can't imagine that you'll have a problem but I would err on the side of less hops than more for this because the hops have had less time to lose the more volatile oils and compounds which you are trying to get when you dry hop.

Final advice, I'd go for the 6x multiplier for weight for the brew (relax, it'll be great) and the 4x for the dry hop.

Wish I had the opportunity to try this. My hop plant nearly died (left for 2 days and didn't have anyone to water it) so I'm not getting any fresh from it this year.

Cheers!

cosgcm5 said:
-And finally, I am really gaining anything by doing this? I realize the hops are fresher, but is there really that great of a benefit of using them right off the vine, or should I just wait for him to dry them out and brew with them per usual?
Cheers,
Cozzie

Have you ever tried a fresh hop beer? I eagerly await this time of year because it is one of my favorite kinds and you never get the same qualities with dried hops.

Back