Highly recommended home brewing books?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc904

Reaction score
Hi, I have read several books on home brewing. The Complete Joy of Home Brewing, Home Brewing for Dummies, Home Brewing Volume 1 by Korzonas, and The Home Brewers Garden. I just ordered The Everything Home Brewing Book and More Home Brew Favorites. What home brewing books do you recommend for my collection? Thanks

"How to Brew" by Palmer and "Designing Great Beers" by Daniels

Yes, those two are my favorite references. Also, "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher and "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.

Brewing Classic Styles is a nice reference when you want to start making certain styles, and Designing Great Beers takes you a step further. They are actually pretty good companion books.

Homebrewer's Answer Book by Ashton Lewis (Mr Wizard from Brew Your Own magazine). Answers practically every question about the homebrew process

"How to Brew" by Palmer and "Designing Great Beers" by Daniels

Yes, those two are my favorite references. Also, "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher and "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.

Those are the 4 that get mentioned most often by far every time we have this thread. Start with them.

If you like Belians, Brew Like a Monk is also a must-have--Designing Great Beers inexplicably omits Belgians while covering almost every other style.

Those are the 4 that get mentioned most often by far every time we have this thread. Start with them.

If you like Belians, Brew Like a Monk is also a must-have--Designing Great Beers inexplicably omits Belgians while covering almost every other style.

That's is about the only fault I can find with. Brew Like a Monk, Farmhouse Ales, and Wild Brews will cover everything Designing Great Beers doesn't.

I agree with How to Brew, Designing Great Beers, and Brewing Classic Styles. I don't disagree with any of the others because I haven't read them. I also highly recommend New Brewing Lager Beer by Greg Noonan

-a.

Also the "Classic Styles Series" books are great if you really want to get into a specific style of beer.

well, not quite... though not specific to home brewing, "Brewing Up Business" by Sam Calagione is a great read about following your dreams. His, from homebrewing in college to running one of the greatest craft breweries of our time.

Also from Sam, Extreme Brewing is just a beautiful book. It's not really all-grain friendly, though most brewers will figure out pretty quick how to convert recipes and IBUs and the like.

It is has big glossy pictures of most of the beers, as well as the brewing process. Appeals to the visceral need to brew. I love looking through it. Plus, beers like Kiwi Wit and Peppercorn Rye Bock and Wildflower Wheat aren't in the mainstream BJCP beer books. I can see it really pumping up a beginning brewer (although How to Brew is pretty much a must for the beginner).

I will have to get Extreme Brewing on the list. I also have The Beer Book; coffee table type (Sam writes the intro); great visual reference to styles and regions as well as listing/describing some 1,700 beers.

Are there any monthlies that would be great to add? I presently subscribe to only one, Beer Advocate. Suggestions?

+1 for Palmer's Book and Jamil's book "Brewing Classic Styles" is good as well.

I put a complete list of all the books I recommend on my "Library" page at 3DogBrew.com (Be kind, this is NOT a commercial site! Homebrewers only!)

I've read almost all of these books on the subject. Just finish "Wild Brews" and "Barley Wine" so I need to update my page.

If you have an MP3 device that can subscribe to podcasts, I also recommend "The Jamil Show" on iTunes here I've only listened to a couple of these and learned some stuff I didn't get form all the book on my library page. :mug:

I will have to get Extreme Brewing on the list. I also have The Beer Book; coffee table type (Sam writes the intro); great visual reference to styles and regions as well as listing/describing some 1,700 beers.

Are there any monthlies that would be great to add? I presently subscribe to only one, Beer Advocate. Suggestions?

For monthlies, I like Zymurgy and BYO. Zymurgy comes with an AHA membership, and BYO is worth the $25/year in my opinion.

I think there is a lot to be gained from reading recipes as well, especially when you already know what the outcome will be. For that reason, a book that has helped me a lot is "Clone Brews". I think this is a good second stage to the learning process after you have covered the basics and understand the various different malts and hop characteristics.

Note: of the few clones I have done only about half came out noticeably close to the intended target. Brewing on such a small scale and with ingredients from different suppliers has effects. Still, the recipes are already tested and do turn out very good even if not identical.

Reading the websites of some of your favorite craft breweries will glean some information on recipe design as well. There are also a ton of recipes on this forum, but you may run into less tried-and-true examples. For that reason I try and read the highly rated and highly traffics recipes. After all, when the science is done the art of recipe design is what really makes a beer. It can be a rewarding, enlightening and very frustrating experience all in one.

Happy drinking...:mug:

On a side note, my How To Brew book's binding gave up only two months from getting it. Anyone else have this problem? I am thinking of trying to get a replacement from Amazon. In order to continue to use it, I drilled a few holes and ran zip ties:
howtobrewbinder.jpg

I just bought Dave Millers Home Brewing Guide and Home Brewing Favorites. How to Brew will be my next purchase. Thanks again

I just received Designing Great Beers, Wild Brews, and Brewing With Wheat in the mail today from Amazon. Unfortunately I'm still at work so they are sitting in my car.

If you want a great read with insight on the history of homebrew in America, I definatly recommend this book.

518205E2S9L._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0679755020/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is the book that got me into brewing my own beer back in 1987. The author is a journalist and homebrewer, so it is well written and can be read in a couple of evenings.

It's out of print, so snag one while you can. I have several copies for nostalgic reasons (sniff).

You may not learn anything except the history and if you have been around you will recognize some of the old time names in the industry like Charlie Papazain and Fred Eckhardt. It's a thoroughly enjoyable and humorous read. I give it 5 stars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back