2-Row on Sale! Any good simple malt recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much any recipe you want to put together can use 2-row. How about 11# of 2-row and half a pound of some crystal. Some Citrus hops and you have a nice pale ale. You could even add a little vienna or munich and a pinch of carapils.

Can't ever go wrong with a little 2-row sitting around.

But, my LHBS sells it for $1.09/lb crushed. That's why I never buy grain online. :)

I have the same luxury as Jordan above, but you can always buy a bunch of 2-row and "home-kiln" it to make varying crystal malts. Or you can "toast" it as well to get a flavor like Victory.

I get mine in full sack increments (typically part of group grain buys). Comes out to be even less per pound that way. Even with MO and UK 2 row/pale ale malts. :rockin:

I get mine in bulk for around 0.90$ per lb. Keep a tub full which i draw from every batch

Wow, I thought I was paying alot in Alaska but I pay $1 per lb normally.
I do ALOT of brews with only 2-row and they are yummy.

Why not get some Rubbermaid containers and jut store it? I'm halfway to the point of doing that myself.....

Why not get some Rubbermaid containers and jut store it? I'm halfway to the point of doing that myself.....

I have some HDPE barrels that hold more than a 55# sack of grain (probably 60-70#) that I keep my base malts in. I use buckets or whatever else I need to use for the other grains. All seal up tight to prevent moisture from getting to the grain. I have just over four sacks of base malt left in reserve, plus a half sack of honey malt and some amber malt (from a split sack). Plus my other grains that I get in smaller amounts (4-5# at a time typically). I'm already looking at the next group grain buy so that I can get enough to last me to the following one.

I pay $0.72/pound or $29.50 for a 50 lb "virtual bag" where I pay in advance and they keep track of how much I have used until its gone.

I pay $0.72/pound or $29.50 for a 50 lb "virtual bag" where I pay in advance and they keep track of how much I have used until its gone.

That sounds like my water store a few blocks down the street. Great concept. Wish there was a local homebrew shop as close that did the same.

Heh, the price breakdown on that malt is funny. It costs more per lb as you go over 10# and it's made to look like it costs less.

I thunk dis thred dun got hyjaked......

How about something along the lines of EdWorts Bee Cave Ale. I have a few to do before I try this one.. but, it sure has a following.

I don't think it got hijacked. I think were all trying to say buy it and save it and use some of it in every recipe. Just about every recipe uses 2-row. You don't have to mass produce mostly 2-row beers if you do buy a lot of it.

Back