What's this sound like to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
So i brewed a beer last month using some leftover items as well as a few new ingredients that caught my eye. It's in secondary now, dry hopped.

3# amber lme (60 mins)
6# liquid gold malt extract (15 mins)
steeped 11 oz. caramunich
23.5 oz. agave nectar (10 mins)
1 oz. amarillo at boil
.5 oz. amarillo (15)

dry hopped with 1 oz. cluster

tastes pretty damn good.

Not sure what style I would put that in. I have tried beers with agave nectar, and I'm not a big fan of this ingredient. Do you feel it contributed anything to your brew?

Hmm. I think it helped to dry the beer out a bit. It's got some sweetness, but not cloying or anything like that. It has some flavors I can't quite place, but nothing bad. The agave would have been honey, but I saw the nectar in the store, and thought, what the hell. I used the darker variety. I'm going to let it sit in secondary a little bit longer, bottle it, and enjoy.

On a side, I did AHS' Imperial Agave Wheat last year, and loved it.

Maybe I've just had terrible examples of the style. Cathedral Square in St. Louis makes an Agave Ale that is awful. It tastes like an old Busch IMO. I'll have to give it another chance.

Back