How do you bulk age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Do You Bulk Age?

• Keg - Pressurized but off the gas

• Keg - Pressurized and on the gas

• Secondary - Carboy or other such vessel

• Primary - Autolysis Shmotalysis

Results are only viewable after voting.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I'm not talking bottles here. I'm wondering how people prefer to bulk age their brews: Keg or Carboy? This is directed at beers that tend to need months of aging before their good to serve, not say, wheats or something with a quick turnaround.

Edit: I forgot to ask if you do use a keg, do you keep it at cellar temp, or in the fridge?

I've done both. I don't think it really matters either way. One good thing about kegs is you can purge them easily. Yes, it would be for a beer meant to age for 3+ months. Its said that long term aging is better in bulk than bottling after a month and aging for a year in the bottle.

I generally use a carboy myself, but if I need the room I'll transfer to a keg.
Edit: Damn, Ed! That was fast!

I usually primary from 4-6 weeks then rack to keg, pressurize, then put it in my brew closet. It sits there until I'm ready to tap it. Sometimes I tap it right away, sometimes I let it sit age for a year - all depends on the brew.

I almost never use a secondary.

I'd also like to vote of autolysis shmotalysis...I left a batch in the primary for 7 months once - no signs of autolysis and I have never even heard a personal account of someone having problems with it. I know it can happen but its like the monster under your bed.

I usually primary from 4-6 weeks then rack to keg, pressurize, then put it in my brew closet. It sits there until I'm ready to tap it. Sometimes I tap it right away, sometimes I let it sit age for a year - all depends on the brew.

I almost never use a secondary.

I'd also like to vote of autolysis shmotalysis...I left a batch in the primary for 7 months once - no signs of autolysis and I have never even heard a personal account of someone having problems with it. I know it can happen but its like the monster under your bed.

That can happen??? :p

Back