Measuring sparge water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty

Reaction score
Ok. Was just wondering how you guys with big set ups measure your strike and sparge water. Ive been using a single vessel as a HLT/Kettle and collecting my sparge water in a bucket then draining mash tun to the kettle and spargeing from the bucket. I get the exact amount of strike water needed to temperature, dough in and start heating my sparge

I just picked up 2 Sanke's and am getting my full rig working soon and was looking for some ideas on how to set it up based on how i would measure out my strike water.

Was planning on using a calibrated sight glass and once strike water temp was hit draining the appropriate amount and then heat remaining to sparge temp.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rock Chalk

Chris

I think you have it already figured out. A calibrated sight glass is the easiest way to measure the amounts. Rather you use a pump or just drain into buckets is up to you.

Yeah a sight glass on your HLT is what you need. I have a 12.5 gallon HLT and do 10 gallon batches.

I use about 6 gallons to mash. I put 10 gallons in the HLT and bring it up to strike temp. Pump 6 of the gallons over to MLT when ready. Starting with 4 gallons left in the HLT, I add the water needed for my total sparge volume and bring that up to temp. Starting with 4 gallons speeds this process up.

I think you have it already figured out. A calibrated sight glass is the easiest way to measure the amounts. Rather you use a pump or just drain into buckets is up to you.

So with a pump i would just watch how much it suck out of the HLT and cut it off when i reach my calculated strike/sparge water mark.

Thanks for the help

Chris

Back