Messed up on Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfries

Reaction score
I got a recipe from a brewery for a beer that I like. It was scaled in brewery units, 3000 gallons, 7000 lbs of grain. 330 lbs of the grain are flaked rye. When I entered the recipe into Promash so that I could scale it down to homebrew units, I accidentally entered the flaked rye as 3300 lbs. The scaled recipe should have been .8lb of flaked rye, but because of my mistake, it ended up at 8lb. I only discovered this after wondering why my mash had the consistency of cement. I had to work at it, but finally got enough runoff to meet the expected gravity. I am sure that there was alot of fermentables left in the grist. This beer will probably not be short on mouth feel:drunk:

I think the 8 lbs. of rye would have tipped me off. I'd dump it and start over. That's like adding 20 lbs. of flour to a bread recipe.

that will be extremely sharp and bitter. hope it turns out, but I doubt it will. best of luck.

Back