Add Yeast Nutrient to Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG

Reaction score
This is my first time using a secondary. Would it be a good idea to add yeast nutrient to the secondary before adding the beer from my primary? Or would that just be a waste?

I'm brewing an extract american pale ale. Thanks for the help!

:mug:

You're not expecting any more yeast growth once in the secondary, so to the best of my knowledge, nutrients aren't needed. It would be a potential (though small) contamination risk, since you wouldn't be boiling them. After primary fermentation is finished, you're just wanting the yeast to clean up after themselves and then flocculate.

If you elect to use the secondary, the fermentation should be complete prior to racking. The secondary should be considered a bright tank or clearing vessel only. No additional fermentation should be occurring in secondary so there is no need to add nutrient.

IMO for your pale ale you should just leave the beer in primary for a week or two after FG is reached and then package:)

Unless you're dry hopping or trying to "clear" your beer... a secondary isn not even needed.

Heck you can even dry hop in the primary. As long as all fermentaion is finished.

Gary

You are not supposed to have huge yeast activity in secondary, so nutrients are not needed.

Back