Mistake (dropped the airlock gasket)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILJONNYWV

Reaction score
Ok I got my nut brown brewed, poured it out into the bucket, put the lid on, and then went to put the airlock on it and the rubber gasket in the lid fell in to the bucket all the way to the bottom.... Well my question is will that screw my brew up?

No I didn't get it out, I cant see it so i didn't fish for it.

Haha! sorry, not laughing at you. But guess what? That was MY first post here on this forum! I had made wine, and Beer Machine kits, but never a "real" boil kit before. And on my first kit- plop! In went that silly grommet.

My advice is to just leave it in there. You'll find it in a couple of weeks. Just stick the airlock in the hole remaining, and tape it in place if you want to to cover any big holes. Otherwise, no worries!

I did buy another grommit, and I also decided to put the airlock on the lid BEFORE putting the lid on the bucket. Even today, years later, I'm like Rainman muttering over and over to myself "airlock on the lid, then lid on the bucket" on brewday. (I brewed today, and that's exactly how it went!).

so, no worries. It'll be fine.

Was it a black grommet?! Cause if so, dude, you're f-ed. Totally f-ed. If it was a grey one, though, then you should be fine. Which did the store sell you?

Ok, kidding - check the bottom of this thread. There'll be tons of threads where people have done the exact same thing. I'll wager that your beer comes out great.

after this brew is done, drill the lid to 1", go to your Local Home Brew Store and get a drilled stopper to fit the 1" hole, no worries after that with that stupid grommet! I think its a #6 drilled stopper but verify that at the LHBS

From now on spray the grommet with sanitizer then twist the airlock in. No issues. It should be fine though. Don't worry about the beer.

after this brew is done, drill the lid to 1", go to your Local Home Brew Store and get a drilled stopper

We don't have a brew store around here, we don't have much at all around here... lol

Yet another "Rubber Gasket Brown Ale"! I'm afraid you'll have to send me a sixer for testing, to ensure it's safe for human consumption and all. You know, just to be safe.

I think everyone who has brewed a batch of beer has done this. Yup. Me too!!

Put airlock in lid, then put lid on bucket, then fill airlock with some liquor, vodka, whatever you have on hand.

I almost did this with my very first batch but luckily that stupid grommet stuck to the airlock so I just took the lid off and then I followed the steps above.

I had the same situation with my first brew. I stuck my hand in the brew and fished it out in like 3 seconds. Let's hope nothing bad happens. It doesn't seem too bad thus far.

Back