Worst Shipping Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
I hate UPS. if anyone on here works for UPS, know that it is not personal, but UPS is the big brown turd of shipping companies.
they suck. forever, and ever, amen.

I don't think i have more than (at best) 50% success rate with them in terms of on time delivery... and when they gaurantee service, they make up BS excuses and it is difficult to get a refund.

UPS from the states is extra poopy as they charge a brokerage fee for customs paperwork. they do not inform the shipper of this, so the store doesn't know they are assraping customers, UPS justs charges it at the door when delivered. (I am not talking about tax here... always gotta pay the taxes, but an extra fee for paperwork.. sometimes very large.)

One time I ordered a digital camera from a US retailer (the first time I learned of this issue) I think it was $280 or something... they charged me $60 in brokerage fees for this BS paperwork.

USPS does not charge any of this extra BS, and pretty sure neither does fedex...

just need to vent thanks.

p.s. I hate UPS.

I ship via UPS almost everyday at work, and in 8 years have had nary a issue, but its all been within the US.

Maybe Canada sucks?!?!

:) OK, I am just kidding there. I have heard of those brokerage fees before though, Fedex should be charging for that too though, so if they didnt then you got lucky.

For me USPS sucks, you get the dang tracking number 2 days after shipment arrives and it will still tell you its on route or scheduled to be picked up.

Yeah, I hate shipping with USPS for most things. Registered mail is nice, but pricey. I had a few friends who worked in the post office, and they tell me that if a piece of registered mail gets lost, people are going to lose their jobs over it. The government uses registered mail to ship classified items and documents, and the post office isn't allowed to x-ray these packages. (hint hint)

I haven't had a problem with UPS though. Their tracking information is usually timely and spot on. I guess the simple solution would be to leave Canada. :p

I wouldn't mind so much if they didnt consitently fail on the service gaurantee into Canada and then make you fight for your refund... I mean really. If they can't send it on time (i know customs is sometimes a long wait, they should too ) then don't gaurantee it!

The UPS brokerage fees to get items into Canada are ridiculous.
I live near the US border, and if I absolutely have to get something shipped UPS, I get them to deliver it to the UPS Store near the border. It's much cheaper and less hassle for me to drive across the border, pick it up at the UPS store, and bring it back into Canada myself. You know a delivery company has failed in their modest task when their customers find it easier to drive into the next country to pick up their package instead of waiting for door-to-door delivery.

Anyway, I only get stuff shipped UPS if I have no other options. I'll usually try very hard to use USPS or Fedex instead.

blame_canada.jpg

BlameCanada.jpg

UPS has been alright lately, actually. You're having a specific problem because you're in a relatively unique situation---but if it's any consolation, I had a forum member in Canada send me some stainless parts via Canada Post/USPS, and it took a month, yes, a month to get here.

UPS always finds my house (which is very easy to find!), always is spot-on with their tracking info, and their website is easy to use. USPS, on the other hand, is run by quasi-bureaucrats, and sucks. Like someone said earlier, it takes them 2 days to update tracking info. WTF!? What good is it if the info is 2 days old!? Crap. As for FedEx, I don't mind using them for commercial/office deliveries, but when it comes to delivering to my house, I must be at the end of their route or something, because I've had them "not be able to find my house" for 5 days in a damn row, even though it's very easy to find just by using a map or even mapquest/google maps. Everyone else finds it okay (I live in the city, in an old neighborhood, it's not some mystery!), but FedEx always has a problem---my suspicion is that, since they use private contractors a lot of the time (UPS does not), these guys just get towards the end of the day and they want to clock out and go grab a beer, so they just mark it as "unable to locate address" and go home. This gets a little transparent when it happens 5 days in a row, though. Another time, they were supposed to deliver some stuff to my office, which is PLAINLY marked, and it had time/temp-sensitive stuff (yeast!) in it...and so I waited and waited and it never showed up. I sat on the phone with the idiots on the hotline for 20 minutes, but they said they were having problems because, guess what...it was a private contractor. Duh. So after 45 minutes, I find out that they idiot HAD delivered it, so I had to go around my building office by office (other firms, not ours) and ask if they had an errant box. Finally I found it. I don't know how you can confuse "suite 110" with "suite 200". And if you do, then perhaps delivering packages is not the right job for you! So yeah, I'll take UPS over FedEx any day of the week.

It's illegal for you to ship beer via any shipper.

Um? I don't think the US government hates me personally. For all the laws I've read it is legal to send via private shipping company. Now their rules and regulations sometimes (almost always...) say they won't ship alcohol.

Do you have a citation for this info?

Its okay. I pick USPS when I can and UPS if I have no choice...

I just needed to vent. Today was supposed to me a sweet, sunny, and beautiful partial mash day (first time i might add!)... only to find 'exception' in the shipping status once again...
just anxious and excited to do it. :D

UPS has been alright lately, actually. You're having a specific problem because you're in a relatively unique situation---but if it's any consolation, I had a forum member in Canada send me some stainless parts via Canada Post/USPS, and it took a month, yes, a month to get here.

UPS always finds my house (which is very easy to find!), always is spot-on with their tracking info, and their website is easy to use. USPS, on the other hand, is run by quasi-bureaucrats, and sucks. Like someone said earlier, it takes them 2 days to update tracking info. WTF!? What good is it if the info is 2 days old!? Crap. As for FedEx, I don't mind using them for commercial/office deliveries, but when it comes to delivering to my house, I must be at the end of their route or something, because I've had them "not be able to find my house" for 5 days in a damn row, even though it's very easy to find just by using a map or even mapquest/google maps. Everyone else finds it okay (I live in the city, in an old neighborhood, it's not some mystery!), but FedEx always has a problem---my suspicion is that, since they use private contractors a lot of the time (UPS does not), these guys just get towards the end of the day and they want to clock out and go grab a beer, so they just mark it as "unable to locate address" and go home. This gets a little transparent when it happens 5 days in a row, though. Another time, they were supposed to deliver some stuff to my office, which is PLAINLY marked, and it had time/temp-sensitive stuff (yeast!) in it...and so I waited and waited and it never showed up. I sat on the phone with the idiots on the hotline for 20 minutes, but they said they were having problems because, guess what...it was a private contractor. Duh. So after 45 minutes, I find out that they idiot HAD delivered it, so I had to go around my building office by office (other firms, not ours) and ask if they had an errant box. Finally I found it. I don't know how you can confuse "suite 110" with "suite 200". And if you do, then perhaps delivering packages is not the right job for you! So yeah, I'll take UPS over FedEx any day of the week.

x20 on the fed ex thing. I had those ******** say undeliverable to my house with my sons birthday gift 3 or 4 times in a row. I wound up going to the actual warehouse to pick it up. Talk about lazy effers. I paid for delivery, and wasted my gas going to pick it up.

UPS will beat the crap out of you package, but will deliver it. (can track with no problems.)

USPS will also deliver, but you cant track it till it is at your doorstep.

I hate UPS too and I live in the US...They have hidden fees..I ship everyday and was using ups for a while..my packages are always weighed exactly and would by postage online and delivered packages to the ups store untill I got a monthly statement telling me I owed postage..i never went back and found that USPS is the most cost effective and even though they can be slow they are efficient..international shipping to Canada and anywhere has become very expensive because USPS did away with thier international parcel post and now you can only ship priority mail.....I lost alot of international business due to the extreme price increase and I found out that UPS has board members on the USPS board commity...they wanted UPS to be able to compete with USPS international pricing and good homebrewers get screwed...no good bastards!... ;-)

Weird because every goddamn 2 day shipment to AK takes 5 days. Why did I pay that when USPS priority mail is 1/10th the cost and gets it here faster? This is the second largest shipping hub in the world for FedEx yet its more expensive to ship here than it is to ship to Antarctica

Fully agree with the UPS shipping to Canada. You get hammered on the hidden brokerage fees. I will request other shipping for this reason. I don't mind the extra day shipping if it will save me $60 on the fees that they don't tell you about until it is delivered. Also, when the drivers know that they are going to be collecting a fee, CARRY SOME CHANGE. last time I was hit with the charge was $62 on a $100 order. I am not going to give you $80 and not expect some change.

I actually live in Memphis... so around here FedEx is 10x better than UPS. I know its location, but I ordered something around lunch on a Tuesday, it was shipped out of california and I got it the next day around 3 pm, plus I only paid 6 bucks for shipping. It was a beer tap, too.... :)

Back