Good first lager make all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was looing for a nice lager to make. I was thinking somehthing with good malt and hop balance. I want it to be enjoyed by all, with more hop flavor and aroma and light on the bitterness. I have a all grain set up but I am only doing single mash nothing fancy yet. Any thoughts? I was leaning towards a Sazz city euro type pilsner..I was looking to take advantage of my 40 to 50 temp garage for a few months than get something to lager later.

Help would be great!! I want the beer to be a good pilsner with mouth feel but still light.

Thanks, Jay

I think you hit it out on your first try. A Bohemian Pilsner is a good beer that matches what you mentioned. California Commons and Dusseldorf Alts fit your wish list pretty well, too, and you can beef up the hop flavor in either of those nicely.

TL

Ok Im changing my mind a bit to a light blond ale...

I was thinking 6# 2 row
4# wheat
1#cara
.5 10 L
cascade all the way .75 at 45 .75 at 30 .75 at 5min and .75 dh

american ale yeast

Not sure about cascade for a blond ale..should work well.

Jay

This is a bit more than a light blond ale but I want a bit more mouth feel..like a cream ale a bit more..what do u think?

I wouldn't call that a "light" or "blonde," as you come in with an OG of around 1.060, the hops to match, a heavy dose of wheat, substantial hop flavor, and significant dry hopping. It sounds like a mighty fine beer to me, though, and I bet I could hang around and drink that stuff all day.

TL

discgolfin said:
Ok Im changing my mind a bit to a light blond ale...

I was thinking 6# 2 row
4# wheat
1#cara
.5 10 L
cascade all the way .75 at 45 .75 at 30 .75 at 5min and .75 dh

american ale yeast

Not sure about cascade for a blond ale..should work well.

Jay

This is a bit more than a light blond ale but I want a bit more mouth feel..like a cream ale a bit more..what do u think?

Couple thoughts...

If you want a cream ale, you need to use corn as an adjunct. Pretty much standard for that recipe.

Cascades - I'm sure they'd be fine in a blonde, although I tend to think of them as being more of an APA-type hop. You could always go that route; drop the wheat to a half-pound (just for head retention), then use Cascade for bitter and flavoring. Maybe use a different character grain (Munich, Vienna, maybe some toasted malt of some kind) to flesh out the background malt. Little crystal malt, and you're there.

If you want more mouth feel, you can also either mash hotter (154°-156°) or use a bit of carapils. Both will add some non-fermentable dextrines.

discgolfin said:

Well, since you started out talking about lagers, why not cold condition it for a few months?

I thought this was a bit high, but I have been hitting only 60 to 65% with my system, so my bill is up a bit. I was figuring it would come in a bit closer to 1.05. I do agree about the corn.. I have not used this much in the past..I was going to remove the dry hop and stick the all cascades. I have heard it makes a nice blond ale...What do you think about 2 and 2 with corn and wheat? I will probably maybe go 5# 2 row, 2# wheat and 1# corn..plus cara pils and a bit of 10L crystal..

what u think?

I have to plug it in and see where I am at..Im shooting for 5 to 4 srm and 1.04 to 1.05 is on the OG. If I was hitting 75% than I will bring it down a bit.

Jay

Bock is a lager, and it's the perfect time of year for it. Ok, maybe a month early, but close enough. Yummy!

I know, i know, you want something lighter.........

Man i can't wait until I step up to a bock..I love them but I think I need to perfect my all grain a bit before I play with one of these. I used to not be a fan but I started drinking bock and some bouble bock's..man so much complex flavors going to..they are great!!

I think a nice blond ale or cream ale will work, I really want to go on the stronger side of this recipe..I have some strong ales and stouts and pale ales and want something light and good for all..easy drinking but with more flavor and body than a lager or kolsch style...

Jay

May I suggest an Oktoberfest style of beer:

80% Pilsner Malt
20% Munich Malt

One hop addition of Halletauer or Tettnanger (if you can find it) at 60 min to get to 20-24 IBU.

Doesn't get simpler than that.

Kai

Ok here is what I am thinking for my blond ale

5 # 2 row
3# wheat
1 # cara pils
.5 # 10 L crystal
.75 cascade 60
.75 cascade 15
1 oz cascade 5 min
areican ale 1056

looking at 1.050 to 1.052
srm 4.3
ibu 26 (bit higher but still in the range
5%
this is a nice very simple recipe..anyone make anything along the same lines?

I think this could bring joy to all the non ale drinkers in my family, without going to a lager...Im thinking this will be a nice light ale with a hint of hops a maltyness..I will let u know how it goes..

Jay

That recipe sounds quite attractive. However, if you really are shooting for broad appeal, you do better not to push the high end of the IBU range. When you are dealing with the uninitiated, sweet sells.

That said, I don't think I could, in all good conscience, ask someone to stop much short of 26 IBUs. :)

TL

I know the problem I have is that I want my family to enjoy this but in all honesty I am making it and I have a hard time not using atleast a few ounces of hops...that being said I could move the bitter hop to 45 minutes, or make it .5 oz at 60 and than bump up the 5 min a bit.. I agree that it is higher and the last thing I want is only me to enjoy:)) ..but I do agree. maybe .5 at 60 and than dump the rest at 5 min..

Jay

I'm making an all grain lager this weekend, it will be my second attempt at an all grain lager.

Here is what I'm making, going for simple and balanced

8 # Light Munich
.5 # CaraPils
.5 # CaraAromatic

.5 oz Nugget @ 60 minutes
.5 oz Hallertau @ 30 minutes

WPL810 S.F. Lager Yeast

I just got finished making that one a couple hours ago. It ended up way darker than I was expecting, but I think it still will end up pretty good.

The answer is to make 2 beers. One for family and friends and another to please your hophead desires. :mug:

Back