campden and chlorine...again, but with a specific question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewibolo

Reaction score
Hello All, I have searched, and I think I found the answer, but I'd like to ask and get a more direct answer to my question.

I know campden eliminates the chloramines & chlorine in the water, but can I add it to the strike water while it's boiling, or on its way up to boiling?

Thanks,

I take my 10 gal mashtun and fill it with campden tablets & tap water. From that I measure out my strike and mash water and start the process.

i cant answer your question directly, i can only tell you what i do. i fill two carboys the day before and add the campden to them and let them sit over night and them brew the next morning

I add it to my water immediately before using it and do not have problems. Water meets grain sometimes a few minutes after adding camden.

You can add it and boil your strike water, yes. Just make sue any water that goes into your Brew is treated, including starsan

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate the wealth of information you all have to offer!

Ewi

Back