plans for first yeast harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemet

Reaction score
I recently attended a local brew course- it was a casual fun afternoon of brewing 30 gallons of porter with about 30 other people. We went over everything, spoke directly with experienced brewers, as well as the owner of Port Jeff Brewing Co. It was a great experience- and we all got to take home a growler of wort-

The yeast they use is a mix of 2 - plus a strain that cannot be identified - according to the labs. They bank and use the same yeast for most beers.

I believe the took the yeast that same day from the ferementer- and brought it right in for the brew class.

Id really like to harvest the yeast. Will it be enough (1/2 gallon porter, nice cake on bottom) to use for future 5 gallon batches? Do I just make a 5 gallon starter- and pitch that yeast after 'washing it' - and repeat the same process when I want to reuse it again? I guess after I make a 5 gallon beer- I will have more yeast to work with at the end giving more options to save yeast in the fridge-

am I on the right track? Is there any other methods that can be used to save this precious yeast? Any help is appreciated.

:rockin:

I would give it a wash and then do a small starter with nutrients to get it kicking for a full 5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back