all grain then extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
hey guys. i recently moved in to a new apartment. i wanted to fill the keg to break in the new pad. ive been brewing all grain for the past 2 years or so. i couldn't get to my equipment so i decided to brew an extract kit. a brewer's best german altbier kit to be exact. now, the beer has been in the keg about 3 weeks. it has a weird taste to it. maybe extract twang. it's very hard to describe the taste. i almost want to call it an artificial taste. anyway, the taste does seem to be getting more mellow. but it's definitely still there. also, it did say that this particular style benefits from cold conditioning. i wonder if i'm going to have to pitch this batch. anyone have any similar experiences? it was dry notty yeast i believe i fermented around 60f-64f

Hmm.... I've made many a beer with Notty and haven't had any off-flavors, especially not in the low 60's.

Does this new place you moved into have a different water source than your previous living arrangements?

I've noticed the brewers best kits don't have the freshest ingredients. I bought a Continental Pilsner(extract w/steeping grains) kit back in the beginning of Jan and the LME was several years old and the yeast was expired for about a month. I just had my first bottle today and it has a rubbery smell and slight rubber taste. I used spring water with it.

Back