Blew lid off FV, is batch screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackShotHolmes

Reaction score
Well, I finally got to experience a complete blow off.

Brewed an Oberon clone yesterday and pitched Wyeast 1010 Amer. Wheat at about 4:00pm. This morning airlock was bubbling away like crazy, 3 or 4 bubbles per second. Looking back, pretty obvious a blow off tube was needed. I went to work and returned to the lid with airlock still in it sitting about 3 feet from FV on the floor and a mushroom top of kruasen spewing out of the bucket. After reading all the posts on here, my first thought was to check the ceiling...it was clean. I really only lost maybe 2 pints of krausen on the floor and sides of bucket.

I immediately sanitized my long handle brew spoon and scooped away all the krausen that was over the top of the bucket. I then cleaned and sanitized the lid and replaced that as well. Next, I rigged up a blow off tube and called it good.

Funny thing is, there is a Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout clone with an OG of 1.100 right next to it that I hooked a blow off tube to that is bubbling away nicely while the 1.053 Oberon blew the lid off in less than 24 hours!:drunk:

From others experiences, what are the chances that this batch is infected?

Thanks ahead!

BTW, I will be using a blow off tube on all batches moving forward like I knew I should have but never did.

You'll be fine. Even if it is infected, just drink it quickly. It won't kill you.

Sounds like you handled the crisis with great composure!

Happened to me with a stout and it turned out to be one of the best beers I've brewed to date.

Glad to hear all the positive comments. I'll update with any news. Right now it's still bubbling away in it's airlock.:mug:

PICTURES!!!??

Like everyone said I wouldn't sweat it! But I tell you what I never get tired off seeing pictures of fermentors pop a cork! hahaha as long is it isn't mine! :eek:

Back