Do i have to rehydrate nottingham yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnheather125

Reaction score
Just wondering If I have to rehydrate this yeast? I am a stickler for following directions and I am currently in the middle of stteping grains. I just want to hear some pros and cons really

Check out http;//www.basicbrewingradio.com for July 28, 2011. They talk about the results of an experiment done with the pros and cons of rehydrating yeast. I believe the take-away message was don't rehydrate, but don't recall for sure!

Any dry yeast can be pitched "as is" I have done the dry method and never had any problems whatsoever. On the other side of the fence you can as possibly should rehydrate your dry yeast before pitching as you will rehydrate the cell wall and help the yeast integrate into the wort easier. The only thing I will say is with the quality of today's dry yeast I do not believe in proofing yeast as this can stress the yeast out and cause more harm than good.

So that is 2 no rehydrations already, I was going to pitch dry but just wanted some input as this is just my 3rd batch
you will absolutely be fine. RDWHAHB ( relax dont worry have a home brew ) your probably safer dry pitching as if you rehydrate too hot you can kill the yeast or if you chill or don't prepare properly you may contaminate the yeast. good luck let us know how it turns out.

did you search your question before you asked it?? i think theres alot more yeses out there than nos. the directions on the pack say to rehydrate.

So that is 2 no rehydrations already, I was going to pitch dry but just wanted some input as this is just my 3rd batch

I feel it has to do with how fast you want it to go to work. I like to rehydrate and mix with 2 cups of H2O and 1/2 cup of light malt extract, mix on the stir plate for 24 hours and pitch in full activity so that the amount of time that the wort sits at temperatures susceptible to invasion by bad bugs is kept to a minimum. That being said, you can do it any way you please and it will work out (as long as you are clean).

I usually pitched dry, no re-hydrating. However the last two brews I've done have used Nottingham and for a lark I hydrated both of them as per the packet instructions (20 mins in warm water, stir then add).

On those batches I've had ridiculously fast fermentation starts. Like 3 hours later I had puffy blotches on top of the wort and 6 hours later I had a full krausen forming!

But really you're fine either way with dry yeast :)

I believe there is a thread about this maybe 10 threads down.

You can do either but most will say to rehydrate.

Yes,its usually recommened to hydrate,and from my experience you get lag time reduced between 4-8 hrs as oposed to 8-16 like i had before when pitching dry.The yeast makers claim its healthier for the yeast hydrating but wether the outcome is better is debateable/undetectable.Either way your fine,unless you see a difference yourself.According to the manufactures of the yeast it should be hydrated as most of them state.Your outcome is what matters,what works for you. Ive seen certain yeast that say specificaly to pitch it dry,also.
You should probably time it to be pitchable within 15-30 min while it is cooling,so if its not a hassle which it shouldnt to boil then cool some water during the last part of your boil then go for it, i have found the time during the end of boil,so i do it.

re-hydrating is better for yeast health and viability. If you don't rehydrate in water prior pitch wort flows into the yeast cells through the cell wall in an uncontrolled way killing the cell.

That's way you hydrate.

Dry pitch will work, but lost of the yeast die and you effectively end up under pitching. Since is only takes 20 mins to hydrate its not really worth not doing.

Back