Bottle Carbonating Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
Unfortunately my temperature controlled freezer is full at the moment so I'm having to store my recently bottled Kolsch beer in the closet. Will a temp of ~75F be okay or is that too high?

Your bottles will carbonate faster at room temperatures than in a fridge. I typically carbonate mine for at least 2 weeks at room temp and then place a six pack or 2 in the fridge for 2 days before drinking.

My Kolsch is feremnting in my basement at around 61-63 F. I was planning on bottling and leaving in basement to carbonate once I bottle....but it sounds like I should probably leave in upper level of house at around 70-72F??? Or would the basement still be ok>?

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Back