1/4" French fry cutter as a mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterunderwood

Reaction score
I'm looking for a cheap way to mill apples and I'm looking at either a garbage disposal or a french fry cutter. I'd like to get the french fry cutter (like this one but with a 1/4" blade http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T3OO8C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 )because I can get a lot more use out of it. However, I'm not sure if that will even work. I plan to press with a 12-ton harbor freight shop press.

What are your opinions on using a french fry cutter to cut apples?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to do about 20 bushels of apples. 30 seconds per apple isn't going to cut it. Also trying to stay under $100.

We have a wall mounted one and it has a wedge cutter blade, going to use that to wedge the apples to go into the mill. If you use the smaller french fry cutter you are going to slice a lot more seeds?? Would that be bad or not? WVMJ

I like the garbage disposal idea FWIW...that could give you some throughput!

I have no experience doing this...just sounds like a helluva way to "process" a large amount of apples!

Between the two options, I think the garbage disposal will chop a lot more seeds than the french fry cutter, I'm not that worried about it. I think I'll go back to the garbage disposal idea, it will give better texture for pressing.

For fun we tried the french fry cutter, it did a good job cutting up the apples, its a wall mounted one with a big lever and easily went thru the apples. We filled the press and pressed as hard as we could and got a little less than a gallon of juice. We cut some more and ran them thru a grape crusher with the jaws closed down and got 1 gal and 3 quarts, so almost twice as much making the bits smaller than just a french fry. WVMJ

WVMJ, That's exactly the first hand info I was looking for, and kinda what I expected the answer to be. Thanks!

Now you have to come over to my house and clean the apples out of my french fry cutter! WVMJ

Back