need help quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamescb77

Reaction score
im about to start my first batch i have everything sanitizing and im getting ready to start my boil. im brewing a red ale and it's an extract kit. i have read the directions many times and it never says anything about straining it when i pour it into the fermenter. do i just leave all the stuff in there? let me know quick thanks

I use a funnel with a strainer on top when I transfer the wort to the carboy...this catches the wort and break material. I got it for around $8 at my LHBS, but just about any funnel and strainer will work. It's the same one as sold on Austin Hombrew's site:

Funnel
Strainer

The fine mesh strainer is a bit small, but aerates the wort very well and has a tight enough mesh to keep out the hot/cold brew material.

It's your choice. Some just dump everything in, some use a strainer or collander that fits over their bucket....If you're using a carboy, you can get a funnel with a strainer built in.

I just started using a Nylon Paint Strainer Bag that fits in my bucket, sanitized of course.

5gal_elastic_strainer.jpg

ok i guess i should have asked is straining something that i need to do? can i get by without straining this batch? i can get the strainer and stuff for the next batch just wondering if you really need to strain or if it's something that people prefer to do to make the beer clearer

It's not necessarily to make the beer clearer, but to remove particulate matter that may effect the taste of your beer. If you want to leave the hops in there, no worries. However, the hot and cold break material should be removed. That being said....either way you're going to have beer in the end, and damn good beer! RDWHAHB!

ok i guess i should have asked is straining something that i need to do? can i get by without straining this batch? i can get the strainer and stuff for the next batch just wondering if you really need to strain or if it's something that people prefer to do to make the beer clearer

I began by straining, then I went to just dumping it in, now I've gone back to straining if I'm using whole hops or have a lot of adjuncts like citrus peels....But if I'm doing a straight brew with pellet hops I don't bother, and just dump everything in...Like I said it's brewers choice...

Irish moss helps, as does other finings, but I find that everything will settle eventually....If you leave your beer alone for a month to let the yeast clean up after itself you'll have extreemly clear beer.

one last question when i boil all the stuff together for the hour do i want this covered or uncovered thanks guys

Back