Cloudy Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.
First off, let me introduce myself. I am new to this forum, but have rudementary brewing skills. I recently tried a cider. I started with cider from a local farm, pasteurized, now preservatives, added some brown sugar and powdered sugar. and used Champaign yeast. The OG was 1.070. My problem is that it never cleared, even after adding some gelatin. And my final product has an after taste that I can only describe similar to an unfiltered wheat beer (only not good in cider), almost to the point of being un-drinkable. I aged it a while in the secondary, but it is still young. What can I do? Thanks for your help.

I figure there are a few reasons for the cloudyness and off-flavor. First of all you say you aged it for a while, how long exactly? that "unfiltered wheat beer" taste sounds to me like yeast, or suspended proteins, and even pectic haze (caused by the unfiltered juice) which should settle out given enough time (read: at least 3-4 months) or with some pectic enzyme in respect to the pectin haze. Second, Powdered Sugar actually has corn starch in it, which would thicken and cloud up your cider (also providing quite possibly that off-taste). Cider takes time, leave it alone and come back to it once it's been sitting for 5-6 more months.

Use pectic enzyme now. It should work just fine. I made the same mistake a while ago, pectic cleared things up in about a week.

I will use Pectic Enzyme next time, however, I have already bottled the cider. I am going to experiment with running the cider through some type of filter (coffee filter?) each time I open one. Has anyone had success with this. Thanks again for all your help.

how much pectin enzyme would yall use for 5gal of cider? Ive got a batch of apfelwein that i used whole cider to make and it hasnt cleared a bit. (been about a month in the primary). Its just 5gal of cider, champange yeast and 2lbs of dextrose. It is still fermenting a little, i just wanna help it along.

I would add it when I mix up the must- I wouldn't add it now because you don't want to stir it up. I'd wait until it's completely done fermenting, and then use some if it hasn't cleared in another month. A fermenting cider will not be clear, because of the yeast in suspension doing their work. It may clear up just fine without any pectic enzyme or other finings.

Can I just replace that with "Git er DONE"? "Just do it"?

Myself, time or cold crashing. But you only cold crash when it's done, therefore time.... Believe me, young yeasty ciders are not that good.
Maybe a tactful titled "Do not be a cider pedo...." would catch people attention. It's a little more current than "I will serve no .... before its time".

Back