Limited Budget, what should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please read the thread for option descriptions

• Option 1: Portable CO2 System

• Option 2: Mini All-Grain equipment

Results are only viewable after voting.

bsay

Reaction score
I have a few options for some new equipment to get, but I am on a limited budget. I have priced out the options, and the finalists are listed below. But first, a little background information.

I am in charge of providing homebrewed rootbeer for monthly meetings. I have a keg in my kegging system (green top) that is dedicated to this task. My 5lb. CO2 tank and triple gauge regulator is a pain to lug to these meetings every month. Not to mention, having to take apart and reassemble my kegging system each time. This makes me want to get a more portable CO2 system (Lowe's Kobalt tool CO2 system).

At the same time, I am looking to do all-grain in mini 2.5 gal batches, and could get that equipment instead. For those of you who didn't see my all-grain/om thread, 2.5 gal batches are the largest AG I can do in my limited space, FYI.

So the options are....drumroll...

Option 1:
Portable CO2 system. Kobalt regulator from Lowe's. Continue brewing extract for now. Easier to take rootbeer to monthly meetings

Option 2:
Cooler MLT, 2 5gal Better Bottles w/ stoppers & airlocks, misc. All-Grain equipment. Continue to lug around bulky CO2 setup.

Dude, this is a beer forum. You come and ask us if you should buy equipment to advance your beer making skills or make your sody-pop chores easier. Come on. You had to know what we'd say.

Dude, this is a beer forum. You come and ask us if you should buy equipment to advance your beer making skills or make your sody-pop chores easier. Come on. You had to know what we'd say.

+1
Beer is the reason we are here. If you are going more portable with your beer it would be a tougher choice. But this is no choice, your soda chore is a chore, let it be a chore. Beer is the stuff of life that lets us expand our view and enjoy life. I think you need a choice #3 Keep saving up for full all grain system. It is worth saving up for.

if you have to ask THAT question in a beer forum you should obviously spend your money on the rootbeer setup and then pick yourself up a 12 pack of milwaukee's best light you cheap bastard.................hahahaha jusk jokin around with you, i couldn't help myself with the name of the thread, If i were you i'd go with the all grain setup and troll ebay for one of these for the rootbeer Home Brew Cornelius Keg CO2 Charger w Disconnect - eBay (item 160280324567 end time Sep-16-08 07:11:43 PDT) cheaper than the lowes setup and maybe that will allow you to do both.....

another idea, find a used paintball co2 tank and add a small single regulator for use in your rootbeer setup.

Yea, yea, I know SODA is a four letter word here in the beer forum. Fact is, I'm happy to lug a keg of soda to the meetings, but I'd like to be able to make it a bit more portable. But ever since seeing the Macguyver brewing system, I've wanted to try small scale all-grain.

i guess the point here is that the AG system gives me some extra capability, rather than just making what I already do easier.

I will look into getting a charger, but how good are those for soda anyway?

i think the charger is a good option, don't know a whole lot about soda but it is not dispensed at HIGH co2 pressure it is still under 30psi i believe. The only down fall to the charger is no regulator so you don't know how charged it is. Just give it a good pump to start dispensing and when it starts to flow slower giver her another quick burst. The AG brewing components will truely make a better beer for you and i think you'll be happier switching to all grain and haveing GREAT BEER rather than blowing your wad on a great dispenser for good root beer dispensed easy. Just my 0.2 YMMV

I dunno, I'd say get the charger and wait till you can make bigger brews. You'll want to upgrade at some point anyway (once you start you can't stop!) because you will not be satisfied with 2.5 gallon batches. Plus the charger will be useful when you decide to start bringing beer to meetings :)

Back