Mead Recipe - What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayaj2

Reaction score
24 lbs of Wildflower Honey
96 oz of Vintners Black Currant juice
3.5 gallons of water

Wyeast Sweet Mead

Staggered nutrient addition

It's been fermenting for about two weeks. Getting anxious to transfer it to secondary. This is my first mead and so I'm seeking comments/criticism/advice.

Well generally it doesn't look too bad a recipe, but if it was mine, I'd use a decent yeast instead of the one mentioned. IMO its a PITA, finicky as hell, and prone to being problematic.

I'd have thought a yeast that has colour/flavour extraction properties would.be better, maybe RC-212, R2 or similar. Plus I wouldn't use all the fruit up front. I'd use half in primary and half in secondary.

I am with FB on the yeast type. Sweet mead yeast sounds good but that's about it. I think that yeast has an alcohol tolerance of about 11%. With the amount of honey you have there I don't think the yeast will eat enough sugar to make this near drinkable. Make sure to have a hydrometer and watch the must's gravity. I would bet it will fall short and you will need a finishing yeast like Lalvin k1v-1116. To pitch that you will also need to make a good starter. Even with all that the recipe is good and you will have a great mead in the end. Just may take a lil extra work.

Thanks so much for the replies. The total batch ended up being about 6 gallons.

What are the issues regarding pitching another yeast type after the wyeast is done? Should I rack it to secondary and pitch the new yeast? And about what is a desireable final gravity?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back