A hole,lost soul, or just an alcoholic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
So my recent drining habits and general behavior has led me to a crossroads. I'm wondering what kind of guy I am. I probably didn't cover all the types but its a work in progress, I guess. So here's my situation:
I brew beer not for the convenience of having beer on hand, but to drink tasty beer that I can't readily buy nearby. I brew twice a month, sometimes more, sometimes less.(usually less). I haven't brewed in at least 3 months, due to hot temps and no temp control on hand, YET.
Whether I have homebrew on hand or not, I drink 2 or 3 times a week but sometimes as many as 7. I know I should cut the cr] and drink 1 or 2 days a week but I can't help it.
I am married, have 2 kids ( 5yrs and 2.5 yrs) and drink often times when I feel stressed or just don't want to "hear it". I work hard all day and usually just want to unwind after a day of lifting heavy stuff and being unappreciated.

I want so bad to wake up and just devote my whole day to my kids and wife and house, but I feel so tired and stressed out that I usually have a drink and keep drinking till the booze is all gone or sit around and think of how to get some beer in me to feel better.

I'm not a "sad" person.....I love my family and take full advantage of the time I have to spend with them. I just feel that without drinking, my personality is different and undesirable. So without the snoozefest that has probly already begun, I pose this question: what type of person am I, an alcoholic, an A hole, or just a general jackass?

Am I lost, or am I just an alcoholic? Let's The reason I'm even posting this is because I've drank a half gal of 9 percent imperial stout, a 6 pack of hacker pschorr octoberfest, and a 6 pack of Harpoon octoberfest. That all was supposed to last me all week but I just couldn't hold out. So what is it, am I an A hole, a lost soul or an alcohholic?

It's up to you to know whether or not you have an alcohol dependency, it's too hard to answer from here. I do suspect however that you certainly have control issues with booze, I mean you said it there, you couldn't stop and have put away a fair bit of booze that was supposed to do you a week.
Talk to your wife, talk to your doc, people on here can only give vague opinions based on what you are choosing to tell us.

The fact that you are asking and posing this question to yourself is an indication that you know you have a problem, but it's up to you to decide what you want to do about it. Your motivations for drinking certainly don't sound too healthy, stress, wanting to switch off and not hear it etc, also the personality thing doesn't sound too good, certainly sets off alarm bells when I read it.

Do what you think is right, but it sounds like you are reaching a crossroads whatever you decide to do.

Mikey, go see a counselor. He can give you an unbiased diagnosis, if you have an alcohol-dependency problem, depression, bi-polar or whatever else it might be. Do it today. This isn't something to mess around with.

That all was supposed to last me all week but I just couldn't hold out.

This sentence says you might have a problem.

I likewise would suggest talking with your doctor, perhaps seeing a councilor, or perhaps take in a AA meeting. (You can always sit in the back and just listen)

I suggest talking to your doctor. It sounds like you are a bit depressed, and are self medicating.

You have many things to be happy about, and aren't able to see them currently. Getting some help can change that, and allow you to see all of the good things you have.

Please talk with someone you know well soon. Yesterday I found out my girlfriend has started smoking weed to escape reality and it breaks my heart. In my opinion, the best way to approach this is with extreme caution. Just get some advice and be super careful man.

I want so bad to wake up and just devote my whole day to my kids and wife and house, but I feel so tired and stressed out that I usually have a drink and keep drinking till the booze is all gone or sit around and think of how to get some beer in me to feel better.

This passage is key... if you want something THAT bad, yet still can't do it because of your need to drink, there's a problem. Either that, or you really don't want this as bad as you say. Kind of up to you to make that call. I would ask yourself why you're tired and stressed... since that seems to be your catalyst.

My motto's always been: "The best day to have a beer is on one of those days you don't say 'man, I could use a beer'" ;)

High alcohol tolerance combined with an inability to stop are serious warning signs.

Still true:

First the man takes a drink;
Then the drink takes a drink;
Then the drink takes the man.

Edward Rowland Sill

Have you tried going an extended period of time not drinking? I'm a single 23 year old kid and know nothing about marriage but maybe talk to your wife?

...but I can't help it.

I want so bad to wake up and just devote my whole day to my kids and wife and house, but .... I usually have a drink and keep drinking till the booze is all gone or sit around and think of how to get some beer in me to feel better.

I just feel that without drinking, my personality is different and undesirable.

I, an alcoholic?

I have to say Alcoholic. Sorry. But you're making the first step in realizing you have a problem of some sort. Get some help and good luck. :mug:

I agree with Bogus as well. Try just going a week without a drink. Tell yourself, I am not going to drink this entire week. If I cannot do it, I know I have a serious problem and need help.

Back