Sabco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbrewer227

Reaction score
Taking that big step and investing in a COMPLETE brew magic system complete with their chiller, fermenter, and storage keg anyone have this system and their thoughts on it seeing as I am going to be spending a BIG chunk of change on it.

you should hold off and do some more research on the forum. Sawdustguy built a BrewMagic replica and probably saved thousands. It's nice equipment but their markup is through the roof. Of course some people don't have the extra time to construct a big build like that, but unless you need a full system super fast, just hold off and build your own personal system. My .02

Nice system, if you're not a skilled DIY'er then why not? Sawdustguy bought his stand from Brew Magic and built the rest of it. He is an "electronics" guy and skilled craftsman type, so for him it looks easy to build a nice system.

As to the "markup", they are in business to make money. They can't create product, invent new things and service customers if they don't charge for what they sell. Sure you could make one for half the price, but when you factor in how much time you actually spent on it you have not really saved much, if anything.

I built my own system, enjoyed the process and if I had it to do over again I'd buy one of the pre made systems, like Brew Magic, MoreBeer or a couple of other options.

My "ultimate" system will be a clone of that setup. May not run the lines the same, and mine will be all electric, but the stand will be like theirs.

:rockin:

I do enjoy mine. I don't use it often enough but I do delight in that I did not have to build it, the components are covered well beyond warranty period, and the system is built to a high standard allowing it, with proper maintenance, to become an heirloom appliance.

As to it's use. Sure, it has some flaws but none of them are deal breakers and it does still allow for some tinkering to modify to you're needs.

My only complaint is that the finish is not very heat tolerant thus necessitating an ocassianal touch up with manifold paint.

I do enjoy mine. I don't use it often enough but I do delight in that I did not have to build it, the components are covered well beyond warranty period, and the system is built to a high standard allowing it, with proper maintenance, to become an heirloom appliance.

As to it's use. Sure, it has some flaws but none of them are deal breakers and it does still allow for some tinkering to modify to you're needs.

My only complaint is that the finish is not very heat tolerant thus necessitating an ocassianal touch up with manifold paint.

I have heard of complaints about the pump placement. You ever have issues with that?

I have not but pump priming is a common complaint. I wouldn't say placement is the root cause tho' so much as impatience. Seems the mojority of those having re-current issues with the pump either had air infiltration cause by bad welds (rare) or loose TC fitting connections (common).

"The Brew Magic Shuffle" was coined as a way to dang a jig and get people to slow the fook down long enough to let the system purge and prime.

My only complaints are that of some of the softwares operation/layout. I detest that the brew timer is a count-up timer as opposed to a countdown timer. Seems trivial but I always stumble to have to re-think kettle additions in a time advanced to 60 or 90 as opoosed to 5 minute, etc...

My only other complaint is the PLC. It's gorgeous but, overkill. And extremely pricey at $1000 USD to replace IF it ever fails down the road. However, I am certain that the internal component are simplistic enough that there will be "something" available in future that can handle the task, perhaps more basically, that the PLC performs now should it ever need to be replaced on a budget.

My system was bought prior to the release of the TC element and stainless chamber. I gripe about that because delivery and release were so closely related and yet no discount is offered for an upgrade even if I ship theped the older, unused parts back. Sucks for me.

Otherwise it's solid and does it's job well. And worth each and every penny if you have the cheese to drop. I get a LOT of grief for having spent so much money on a system that I haven't fired up in nearly a year but, I also know that with my cleaning regime and the build quality that my 4 year old will one day brew on this system and then my 2 year old will too.

Latest posts

Back