antique freezer potential for conversion (advanced) raleigh, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
I just stopped by in Raleigh today and looked at a 1950's freezer a guy has. It's in amazing condition and curvy and beautiful. The only problem is that it's got aluminum tubing running under the shelves to send coolant through, and that puts it out of my league for a conversion. It looks like it could hold 3 cornies, it's about chest-height tall, curvy, and beautiful. If I had the know-how to remove or move those coils around, I would have restored it to like-new and added three taps on the front, but alas, I'm not good with appliance innards.

The guy offered it for $85, and plugged it in when I arrived and the tubing in it got ice cold FAST, so it runs very well.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/fur/643302917.html

I think the shelving makes it a deal breaker.

I do not know of anyone on this board, removing coils and re-connecting a servicable freon valve and re-adding freon.

yeah, my heart just sank when I reached under the shelves and fealt it. The thing is just SO beautiful. :(
Well, I know probably several folks are looking for these style units for kegerators, but if anyone finds one, I'd like to know about it as well (without the coil shelves, of course).

One day I'll be smart enough to just have a custom model built for me from scratch!

I've heard of people very carefully bending the shelves and coils up against the back wall. It's not easy from what I heard and if you screw up your left with a chunk of scrap.

Too bad, that would make a great looking keggerator.

Latest posts

Back