fill in for not enough Halletauer hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
So earlier in the week I went to the LHBS and got the supplies for my upcoming weekend brew. I'm brewing a Belgian that calls for 3/4 oz. of Halletauer at 60 minutes and 3/4 oz at 15 minutes (also 1 1/2 oz of Hersbrucker at flame out). Because the store was ready to close I was a bit rushed, went to the hop fridge, reached into the Halletauer bin and grabbed a bag without looking. As you can guess, I got home and found I had package of Green Bullet hops.

I do have about 3/4 of an ounce of Halletauer in my fridge but that's only enough for the first addition. I don't want to run back to the LHBS for just a bag of hops so I'm thinking of substituting with other hops I have on hand - and of course none are on any substitution list. So, here's my inventory - Fuggles, Cascade, Amarillo, Columbus and Hersbrucker (and of course, Green Bullet!)

Does anyone see any synergies here or should I just look at the alpha acid level and try to most closely match that?

On a different tact, know any good recipes for Green Bullet hops?

I'd use the green bullet for bittering, making sure to hit the projected IBU for the recipe, then throw your .75 oz Hallertau in at 15 min. Cheers!

I agree that saving the hallertauer for the last addition is the way to go. On that list I would say hersbrucker is the closest substitution. I think liberty and crystal are also very hallertau-like.

Hersbrucker is a Hallertau hop so if you have enough, just use that. I'd stick to noble hops whatever you end up using.

I'd use the green bullet for bittering, making sure to hit the projected IBU for the recipe, then throw your .75 oz Hallertau in at 15 min. Cheers!
+1. you won't get any noticeable flavor or aroma from the bittering addition, do it doesn't really matter what you use. the 15 minute flavor addition is where you need to be more precise about what you.

Back